turbo add on ......

stephens89sc

well i came apon a turbo today @ the shop i work at... my boss gave it to me its a Schwitzer 3LD 229 anyways i saw the post a while ago wiht that camaro wiht the turbo mounted under the car... well i have lots of time and i can find the money would i be worth it to do an experiment and try n put a turbo on an sc... ??? im willing to try.

and another question.. if i do do this.. where will i have the turbos compressed air enter the car? it would have to be before the maf? cause if it was after it the computer wouldnt get the right reading... so im thinking have it enter under the car where my cold air intake is and have it blow in towards the maf...... is this a waist of time or will this be fun

and i wouldnt be running much boost just like 3 lbs just to see if this setup works

WHAT DO U GUYS THINK?

There is nothing wrong with being creative and exploring new areas, but why do you want to do that with this car. I cant help but think that it is not going to work very well without a lot of modifications. I don�ft believe it will ever perform as well as with the supercharger.

That will be a monster of a project. The exhaust alone would be an interesting challenge!

Also... Is the turbo rated for your CID?? Not all turbos are the same!

I would use that turbo on another car.

Good Luck

WHAT TO DO ???????????????

I THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO BE TIED IN TO THE INTAKE SO AS TO HAVE FULL FLOW ...............................WHICH WOULD TAKE THE LOAD OFF THE S/C..............I THINK A POST DEALT WITH THIS...............FAST FREDDIE.................:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool: :cool: :D :D

Exhaust would be only real expense, but a big one. The engine is pretty much setup for forced induction. It would actually be a nice setup becuase with both it would be doing a couple of things. Turbos tend to have lag which would kill our beasts off the line so to have SC have boost when you hit throttle and then have turbo spool up with rpm would be nice. With our little blowers the biggest problem we have making power is that it can only deliver so much air and to deliver more air we have to overdrive it which heats up the charge, A LOT. You would be able to underdrive SC so you wouldn't get heat and still have bottom end boost. You would also be able to lose a lot of the parasytic loss due to the belt. Potential is awesome with that setup. You could pretty easily blow by Coy and Jim with some race gas and good heads. I'd say if you have a lot of mods done already, especially heads and big exhaust, and you have about $3000 extra to dump into it then go for it. Will take some time to get it running right and also NEED an EEC Tuner if you don't have one already.

I've considered this. What I don't like about the SC is that 1/4mi top-end is bit weak usually running about 5-10mph lower than comparable ET's from other cars. What gives the inspiration is, of course, the Buick Grand National.

Both cars have 3.8's. Both weigh roughly the same with the SC being about 2-300lbs heavier. But the GN's ET and MPH all over an SC. Much more so than the weight diference can account for. And as far as low end torque is concerned I doubt you'll find a complaint from the GN crowd.

So basically it appears that a single turbo comparable in size to an equivalent GN should work quite well. However, as has been pointed out, plumbing is a bit of an issue.

Intake side should be easy by placing the MAF ahead of the turbo and the TB after. As far as the computer is concerned there wouldn't be any appreciable change IMO, although some reprogramming of timing and fuel curves would be good. Use one of the N/A intake setups, maybe even do a Split Port job, but I'm not sure I want that intake gasket anywhere around me :D

The exhaust side is where it gets a bit difficult. There's plenty of room where the air filter assembly sits for a single turbo, but where to route the pipes from the exhaust to the turbo and how to get the downpipe out of the engine compartment? The GN's cross over the the pass side for both up pipes and down pipe and the accessories are all on the drivers side to make room for that. We don't have that luxury although it DOES look like there would be quite a bit of room if the jackshaft assembly was gone. On the drivers side it looks like you could get the exhaust from that side over to the right by using the passage that the intercooler pipe uses now and merge left and right sides over at the turbo.

Anyway I think its doable and it should run right with a GN and handle better to boot. BUT it will take a bit of custom fabrication and is not something you can do over a weekend or even in several weekends. If I get really ambitious I may try this on my worn out Cougar after I get another work beater. Think of it as sort of an ersatz GN for a quarter of the price :D If it runs well I'll go back and rebuild the thing like it needs.

Actually there are a lot of complaints from GN owners about turbo lag. They actually have made very specific torque convertors for that particular problem. They also have a rear suspension that can be set up for a 4-5k rpm launch to have that turbo spooled up, which we don't. The combo of the roots and the turbo would probably be the perfect setup for our cars. I also think the weight dif is more like 500 lbs.

How about this....

If it was just gonna be a weekend dragster you could easily modify the front wheel wells and use skinnies on the front...that should make some space for plumbing, but its sounds like you want this to be a everyday driver.

^^^^

Thanks for pointing that out JJ. It looks about like what I had envisioned for an SC install except I had a single in mind. Although I DO have a couple of TC IHI's out in the garage Hmmmm...:D

Personal opinion is that he has too much stall for a street turbo car which is why it doesn't hit full boost until over 3K, but hey he's got more done than I do.

Back