Delusions are gone

lgeninchrg

How hard is it to pull the engine in these cars.
Let me inform you all that I have never pulled an engine in any car.
At this moment I have basic house hold tools and my mechanical experince is limited. ie I have done brakes,alt,starter and things like that.

I am not afraid to try and I have as long as I need (or the wife lets me keep it :D in the garage)

What are some pointers before I start?

Thanks Guys

1. Buy a good set of QUALITY tools, you are going to need more than the basic household set. Torque wrench and few other speciality tools....

2. A good Service Manual, like Helm or a Ford Service manual, not a Haynes either, will be a great help!

3. Find a buddy to help you!

4. Band-Aids!

Calvin

I am in the process of pulling my engine ( when the wife doesn't b1tch about me being in the garage).

Get a picture of the engine buildup and make lots of copies

Take anything and everything from the engine compartment you can. If you leave something in, murphy will always make sure that's what in the way

Bag related parts together with a picture that has those parts circled or highlighted. a piece of masking tape with the item numbers on it is a great way to tag individual small parts.

Take notes on the condition of everything as you pull it, so you can make a shopping list later.

Aaron

Everything these guy's have told you is right on. Label ALL the parts(youre not gonna beleive all of them) and make sure you have space to store them so they dont get kicked around or lost.

Pics: Excelent idea! Take as many detailed pics as you can of everything at different stages of dissasembly because there are alot of things you will not see until you get other things out of the way, if you dont do this I garauntee you will wish you had and will soon be bald from snatchin hair out of your head.
You've been warned.

Tools: That better be your first purchase, youre gonna need plenty. You can get some nice Craftsman sets at sears at reasonable prices, just keep an eye on the sears website they have sales all the time and when they have what you want on sale go buy them. You may have to buy a few odds and end peices to get everything you need.
Proper tools will save you both time and money in the long run, trust me. The right tool for the job will save you money in the long run by not destroying good parts. Replacing 2 or 3 good parts because you destroyed them will often more times than not cost more than a good set of tools, plus you can use them for a lifetime. If you are unsure about what you may need say so and I'll try to give you a list of things.

Time: What ever time you are thinking it is going to take you to do all of this DOUBLE it or TRIPLE it. Life seems to have a way of mess'in with you during projects such as this, so you may not have as much time to devote to this after you get a good start. I'm WAY over my geusstament and no longer set time frames on completion, it'll get done when it gets done. Thats all I'll say about it anymore.

Also don't underestimate the cost of miscellanious stuff like hoses, gaskets, belts, sensors, T-stat, rtv, silicone, loctite, never sieze, coolant, oil, plugs, wires yada, yada, yada.

It never stops amazing me how much I spend in "Stuff" eaven after I have all the major pieces bought. I would budget $300 to $400 just for stuff.

Started using those nitrile latex gloves about 2 years ago and never going back. Buy them by the box now. Nothing like grease free hands after a dirty engine job. GL.

parts managment!!!!

2 words...parts management!!!!! put it ALL in freezer bags or boxes! get the freezer bags with the labels on them as any solvent contact will take marker right off of the bag. Dont even for one second take something off and not label (short of your blower) if you think "ill remember where this goes" your wrong! :confused: get electricians labels for the wiring. I cannot stress this enough. in all my time in the garage Ive learned,that can ruin your time very fast, ie: wait, do these screws go to the intake manifold or the exaust?! And dont get overwhelmed, no matter what if you take your time and go slow and super meticulous, youll get through it. trust me I just did it on an SC recently.;) Good luck

Have Fun, go slow, pull slow, and yes take anything out that looks like it is in the way. We did leave hosses hooked up to P/S and A/C by just pulling them to the side. Saves A/C recharge. Wiper system was second to go for us after hood.

Attachments

• 90out.jpg
    90out.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Forget it

You didn't say why you want to pull it out or if you had another ready to put back in or if you need to have it rebuilt. Either way, forget about doing this yourself and find a shop that can do it for you and get a few quotes, maybe they will allow you to watch or assist.
I just swapped engines for a guy and it was not easy, even with a hoist, cherry picker, air tools, torches, and access to any shop tools and all of the advice from a half dozen mechanics that I wanted.
Good luck

Thanks for the advice

Reasons for pulling engine
1. Rod knock
2. Project car
3. Satisfaction of doing it myself
4. Reason to leave the house
5. More time than money

Would resopnded sooner but I just got power back from the blackout.

Back