Installing engine with longtubes attached.

V8Supercoupe

I haven't tried it, but I was wonderig if it's possible. I sure would like to have them on before I put the engine back in. That would make life a little easier.

Skip

Mine did! With tranny on it as well. You'll want one of those tilters on your engine hoist and a few guys to direct it going in, but you should be fine. You'll also need the steering shaft disconnect and pushed back up in the column. I had the radiator/AC condenser out as well. Hood needs to be off or laid back against the windshield.

IN4.jpg

IN5.jpg

THANKS GEORGE!

I don't have a engine tilter. I have been using our forklift to get the engine in and out. I am sure with a couple of guys we can get it as long as we harness it correctly.
Anyhow, that's good to know it will fit, that makes life a little easier.

On a side note, has anyone tried those locking nuts'bolts on their headers to keep them from lossening up?

Skip

Don't use nylon lochers..

The bolts will get too hot and they will not stay on due to the nylon will melt. If you find ones that are metal and are more like a crushed nut, those will work. What I use are cap screws with matching lock washers. Add some" hi temp" lock tight and you should be good to go. Keep in mind, if you use the precleaner on them before you lock tight them, they will be a bear to get out down the road...Good luck....Rich

Last edited:
You want to use the Stage 8 locking fasteners on those headers. I have them on my headers, oil pan and valve cover and not a leak in almost 3 years and 16,000 miles. (This is on the SWB that does not get out in Ohio winters!) They are a little expensive, but well worth it.

Here is the text of a post I made many years ago!

------------------------------------------
I have been using a Mustang steel gasket with great success, no leaks, for 10,000 miles now. (Now 16,000!)

94-99 Mustang 3.8L exhaust manifold gasket (Fel-Pro MS 95528, replaces Ford F5SZ-9448-C), coated steel, use copper gasket sealant.

I also highly recommend the Stage 8 locking fasteners in either the bolt or stud models. They will not loosen up!

Stage 8 Locking Fasteners

Kit # 6919 Ford 4.0 V6 Header Bolt Kit

Kit contains:

12 Special grooved head 8mm 1.25 thread pitch 25mm long bolts
Can be installed with either an 11mm (7/16 in) wrench/socket or a 4.5mm (3/16 in) allen wrench.
12 Aluminum Locks
12 Steel Circlips

The bolts are installed as normal bolts to proper torque and then the aluminum lock goes on and wedges against the header tube. The locks come in several shapes and sizes. The circlip is then placed in the groove on the bolt head to hold the lock in place. Stage 8 claims to never have a failure on any of their bolts that are installed.

DLF used studs and Stage 8 locking nuts!

------------------------------------------

Some pricing from a few years ago:

Headers: 12 bolts M12 1.25 25mm (their kit #6919) $45.05

Valve Covers: 10 bolts M6 1.0 20mm $30.00

Oil Pan: 16 bolts M6 1.0 20mm $48.00 (same as valve covers)

Total of $123.05 including UPS Ground

Attachments

• stage8.jpg
    stage8.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 165
Those will work

That will do the job for sure.. can't say that I have ever used, or saw those before, nice, very nice George......Rich

Yep, them's the ones.
I saw an ad for them in MM&FF and I was curious if they were any good. I'll be getting a set.

Thanks Again George, what would the SC world do without you? !!

C'mon Rich? Do you really think that I would put those nylon locknuts on my headers like the ones that came with the "SUMMIT RACING" headers for my truck??? Geesh!!!

I always wondered what that smell was!!! LOL!

Later, thanks!! LOL!
Skip

I only asked.....

I too have seen them in kits for installing headers and such. It is better to say something and maybe help than to not say anythimg and see someone else get goofed up..Some of the people who come by here don't post much, but they do whatever someone tells them.. Just tring to keep the faith, and yes what would we do without George, whenever someone hits a stone wall he is there with the way to get thru it every time. Keep up the great job George......Rich

Hey George, those pics of your engine hanging on the hoist make it look way to pretty!!!

Time to sell the house and hock the kids, I'll be playing catchup the rest of my life!!

Got to love this group!!!

RJ

Thanks Brian!
I think I'll be OK. I think!
I still have some things to do before then, but I am getting close. The goal was to have the engine in and broken in by today so I could be at FFW for tomorrow. Unfortunatly I have some family issues that wiped out my week off. I guess the car will wait another week! OH well, can't win them all!

Hey Rich, I was only bust'in. The reason I even mentioned it was because I bought some headers from Summit. When I got them I found nylon lock-nuts in the package. Well, common sense said, " This ain't no good" Unfortuantly common sense didn't talk me out of putting them on. I was tired of my cracked manifold ticking away and said screw it. 2 weeks later I had a wrench back on them tightening them up. I will say though, they haven't loosened up yet........YET!

Thanks again guys!

Back