PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Wires

Aaron Pedroza
08-14-2003, 03:45 PM
I guess another set of wires fail on me, these lasted about four months. The only wires that have worked for me long term have been a set of Jacobs wires. Those were bought a long time ago too, got another set from them but they were crap. I guess I am going to have to go back to Motorcraft because I am not going to spend the money on Magnecore. That does bring up a question though. With our cars destroying regular wires easily doesn't that beg to reason that around town driving causes us to lose signifigant power no matter what kind of wires we have. Some can handle the heat but I am sure resistance goes way up once the engine compartment and wires heat up. Only thing I can think of to prevent it is solid core wires and then forget a radio.

XxSlowpokexX
08-14-2003, 03:54 PM
Ive ran the Accell extreme 200??? I think thats what theree called on two of my SC's with no problems at all..There black with silver boots ..Taylors a good wire but very soft and easily bendable...I usually end up burning them on teh headers

Aaron Pedroza
08-14-2003, 04:34 PM
I think I am just going to go with good conductive wires and some fire sleeves this time around. I am tired of blowing through wires. Actually this set lasted me 10 months, I just called Summit to check on warranty.

Rob Noth
08-14-2003, 06:22 PM
Aaron, I've been using the same set of Magnecor wires for years on my SC with no problems. I think when you add it all up, the Magnecor wires are cheaper in the long run, becuse you don't have to keep replacing them.

Aaron Pedroza
08-14-2003, 06:53 PM
I'm actually looking at MSD wires and putting sleeves over them. From what I have heard and read these are the best conductive wire out there and if I protect them from heat they should do the job well. Will end up spending a little more than Magnecore but won't ever have to replace again and they will be top notch.

HSKR
08-14-2003, 07:03 PM
I woudl stay away from the MSD wires. Their ignition systems are good, but their wires aren't all the great. I put the Taylors on my car recently, so will see how well they hold up. What did the car do when the wires went bad?? Just misfiring, or rough idle??

Aaron Pedroza
08-14-2003, 07:13 PM
As soon as car gets hot it starts misfiring as soon as I get above 5lbs of boost. Typical thing for wires. Had it happen several times now.

MercsSC
08-15-2003, 11:05 AM
I spent way too much for Taylor Wires for my 88 5.0l tbird ... and moved them over on to the SC ...and they did not last long ..
they have a soft outer shell on the 8mm... that I had .. and burned easy and you could feel them stretch.. trying to pull the boots off the plugs ....but the 9mm racing wires are a total different animal ...with a heat resistant outer shell and good to great boots and plug ends ..but are huge and routing them around the engine is almost as much fun as replacing the spark plugs ....some times you get what you pay for ...some times you don't.....dave

Aaron Pedroza
08-15-2003, 11:11 AM
It is so bad right now that it may not actually be the wires. I am thinking one or two may be loose. I like the wires and haven't had any sign of problems until now. And to go from all good to crap in a matter of days is kind of wierd. I will give everyone an update as soon as I look at them.

rivlee
08-15-2003, 11:25 AM
I've got a set going on mine but haven't had a chance to put any mileage on them yet. Hopefully they'll start getting some use next week. :rolleyes:

Lee

MercsSC
08-15-2003, 12:06 PM
if it's 2 plugs not firing ..well combination of 2 plugs not firing...
1-5 2-6 3-4 each fire off the coil @ once ..so if either of those combination aren't working ....chances are DIS module and not wires ...something to look for ....dave

curse
08-15-2003, 12:19 PM
Why are MSD wires bad? I have had them for over 2 years on my car without a fire sleves and they work great. The only thing that sucks is that they don't make a set for our cars, you have to get them custom made.

Aaron Pedroza
08-15-2003, 12:26 PM
That's what I was planning. They test better than anyone else I have seen and a place down street from me will put them together for me. Will end up being very nice custom fit. Eventually sleeves will be dirty but only bottom 3" have that on.

MIKE 38sc
08-15-2003, 12:39 PM
Aaron What type of wire failures are you having?
Are they getting burned up by touching exhaust?
Or is the conductor itself breaking down?
Unless there getting burned up by the exhaust I cant imagine what would cause you to go through so many wire sets so soon.:confused:

curse
08-15-2003, 12:43 PM
I just had a new set made for me with fire sleves. They look cool. I tried to post some pics but it tells me the file is too big.:(

Aaron Pedroza
08-15-2003, 12:45 PM
Well, I had first set of Jacobs that lasted forever, well three years. Then had them replaced when I built my last engine and the new wires just sucked, had to bring gap down to .40 for them to work. That was ridiculous to me so they are spares now. I then went to another brand, forgot which but they only worked for a couple of months, they were cheapies though. Then now with Taylors and have had for 10 months and maybe gone. I am going to check for loose wire, it is real bad now, much worse than any before so I think it is just a loose wire now. But other wires even before Jacobs just lost conductivity.

MIKE 38sc
08-15-2003, 12:51 PM
Aaron I'm having a little trouble understanding that. How did you determine that the wires just lost conductivity?
What tests did you perform on the wires to determine that was the problem?

Aaron Pedroza
08-15-2003, 12:58 PM
resistance tests on first two sets of wires going bad. Read fine when cold but once they heated up it went way down. Haven't done anything with these wires but will check them out as soon as I get chance.

MIKE 38sc
08-15-2003, 01:05 PM
Do you keep having the same cylinders plug wire go out or is it random?

Aaron Pedroza
08-15-2003, 02:02 PM
It was several wires before. But, I got tired of not knowing so I just took my coat off and rolled up my sleeves and checked it out. I was right, one of my wires was loose, just about to come off. So seems wires are fine this time around. So any Taylor wire owners out there, they seem like they are still a good buy.

MIKE 38sc
08-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Good deal Aaron!
You know it always seems to be the simplest things that cause the most trouble.
Glad you found the problem.:)

Youre wearing a coat this time off year?
where do you live? LOL!!

Aaron Pedroza
08-15-2003, 02:45 PM
Ya, the miss got to be way to bad to just be a wire problem. At first was just in higher boost but then it was al the time and I knew it had to be something else. I do where a coat, I am actually a Suit. Well I wear a suit but I am not one.

MIKE 38sc
08-15-2003, 02:50 PM
Ahhh a suit!;)

HSKR
08-15-2003, 02:52 PM
The reason I say the MSDs aren't the greatest is from hearing reveiws from other people on my Dakota R/T forum I post on. Of the wires we use on our trucks, people have had the most problems with the MSDs failing. Usually, it's the terminal ends staying on the plug when you pull the wires off, even using the boots. These were all custom fit wires though. Also, had one guy who got two sets in a row that ohmed out bad right out of the box. The Taylors and the Magnecores are the most popular wires for our trucks. The 8mm Spiro Pros are supposed to be rated to 700 degrees.

curse
08-15-2003, 05:52 PM
That seems to be a problem with the person who crimped the wires, not MSD. Also what was the guy using to test the ohms? I have seen everything from a Mustang to Civic run MSD wires and never experiance anything like that.

MIKE 38sc
08-15-2003, 05:58 PM
Yeah you can get good or bad in any brand at any given time. Brand really doesnt mean anything.

David Neibert
08-15-2003, 07:01 PM
I've had a set of Taylors on my SC for 1-1/2 years now and have removed them numerous times when working on the engine and never had any problems, except for breaking a couple clips that hold them onto the coil pack.

The cores seem to be much more durable than the OEM wires I had. With them I damaged at least one wire everytime they were removed. They are pretty cheap too, I think they only cost about $45.

David

Jim Cook
08-15-2003, 07:28 PM
I've been running a set of Taylor wires for 6+ years and 130K miles. I bought another set last year, just in case but the current wires are still going strong...

Tazer999
08-16-2003, 07:16 AM
Well I just ordered a set of Taylors thru work for $60cdn (discount) but was wondering if I got the right set

Anyone got a part number of the ones they are running?

Jim Cook
08-16-2003, 11:25 AM

Tazer999
08-16-2003, 02:24 PM
now are those the spiro wound ones, normal ones, or which ones? At work I wasn't sure of the part number so I called them and asked for the custom fit wires for a 90 tbird 3.8sc and the part number I got (and ordered) is slightly different then that one

Tazer999
08-16-2003, 02:40 PM
ok so apparently this is what they are sending me. The part number is 74658 and when i searched that i got

04-74658 Taylor Spiro-Pro 8mm Spark Plug Wires, 1988-1995 5.0L Mustang, Blue

are these gonna work despite the fact that they are

a) for a v8 mustang
b) a completely different vehicle

Jim Cook
08-16-2003, 05:42 PM
I don't think that they went to distributorless ignition on the Mustang until they put the 4.6L Modular motor in it. I don't think that happened until 1996. Previous part no. was for the 8mm Spiro-Pro wires, for the 3.8L SC motor.

David Neibert
08-17-2003, 12:16 PM
Ryan,

Taylor 8mm Spiro Pro series w/135 degree boot direct fit part numbers are as follows.

#074269 Red
#074669 Blue

If ordering from Summit

TAY-74269 Red
TAY-74669 Blue

David

Tazer999
08-17-2003, 01:44 PM
thnx guys.

Guess I gotta cancel the order from work and re-order these other ones... I hate faxing off a request foir a specific part number to these guys, they ALWAYS screw it up