Taylor Wires

Aaron Pedroza

I guess another set of wires fail on me, these lasted about four months. The only wires that have worked for me long term have been a set of Jacobs wires. Those were bought a long time ago too, got another set from them but they were crap. I guess I am going to have to go back to Motorcraft because I am not going to spend the money on Magnecore. That does bring up a question though. With our cars destroying regular wires easily doesn't that beg to reason that around town driving causes us to lose signifigant power no matter what kind of wires we have. Some can handle the heat but I am sure resistance goes way up once the engine compartment and wires heat up. Only thing I can think of to prevent it is solid core wires and then forget a radio.

Last edited:
Ive ran the Accell extreme 200??? I think thats what theree called on two of my SC's with no problems at all..There black with silver boots ..Taylors a good wire but very soft and easily bendable...I usually end up burning them on teh headers

I think I am just going to go with good conductive wires and some fire sleeves this time around. I am tired of blowing through wires. Actually this set lasted me 10 months, I just called Summit to check on warranty.

Aaron, I've been using the same set of Magnecor wires for years on my SC with no problems. I think when you add it all up, the Magnecor wires are cheaper in the long run, becuse you don't have to keep replacing them.

I'm actually looking at MSD wires and putting sleeves over them. From what I have heard and read these are the best conductive wire out there and if I protect them from heat they should do the job well. Will end up spending a little more than Magnecore but won't ever have to replace again and they will be top notch.

I woudl stay away from the MSD wires. Their ignition systems are good, but their wires aren't all the great. I put the Taylors on my car recently, so will see how well they hold up. What did the car do when the wires went bad?? Just misfiring, or rough idle??

As soon as car gets hot it starts misfiring as soon as I get above 5lbs of boost. Typical thing for wires. Had it happen several times now.

I spent way too much for Taylor Wires for my 88 5.0l tbird ... and moved them over on to the SC ...and they did not last long ..
they have a soft outer shell on the 8mm... that I had .. and burned easy and you could feel them stretch.. trying to pull the boots off the plugs ....but the 9mm racing wires are a total different animal ...with a heat resistant outer shell and good to great boots and plug ends ..but are huge and routing them around the engine is almost as much fun as replacing the spark plugs ....some times you get what you pay for ...some times you don't.....dave

It is so bad right now that it may not actually be the wires. I am thinking one or two may be loose. I like the wires and haven't had any sign of problems until now. And to go from all good to crap in a matter of days is kind of wierd. I will give everyone an update as soon as I look at them.

Magnecor also makes a 10.5mm.

I've got a set going on mine but haven't had a chance to put any mileage on them yet. Hopefully they'll start getting some use next week. :rolleyes:

Lee

dis

if it's 2 plugs not firing ..well combination of 2 plugs not firing...
1-5 2-6 3-4 each fire off the coil @ once ..so if either of those combination aren't working ....chances are DIS module and not wires ...something to look for ....dave

Why are MSD wires bad? I have had them for over 2 years on my car without a fire sleves and they work great. The only thing that sucks is that they don't make a set for our cars, you have to get them custom made.

That's what I was planning. They test better than anyone else I have seen and a place down street from me will put them together for me. Will end up being very nice custom fit. Eventually sleeves will be dirty but only bottom 3" have that on.

Aaron What type of wire failures are you having?
Are they getting burned up by touching exhaust?
Or is the conductor itself breaking down?
Unless there getting burned up by the exhaust I cant imagine what would cause you to go through so many wire sets so soon.:confused:

I just had a new set made for me with fire sleves. They look cool. I tried to post some pics but it tells me the file is too big.:(

Well, I had first set of Jacobs that lasted forever, well three years. Then had them replaced when I built my last engine and the new wires just sucked, had to bring gap down to .40 for them to work. That was ridiculous to me so they are spares now. I then went to another brand, forgot which but they only worked for a couple of months, they were cheapies though. Then now with Taylors and have had for 10 months and maybe gone. I am going to check for loose wire, it is real bad now, much worse than any before so I think it is just a loose wire now. But other wires even before Jacobs just lost conductivity.

Aaron I'm having a little trouble understanding that. How did you determine that the wires just lost conductivity?
What tests did you perform on the wires to determine that was the problem?

resistance tests on first two sets of wires going bad. Read fine when cold but once they heated up it went way down. Haven't done anything with these wires but will check them out as soon as I get chance.

It was several wires before. But, I got tired of not knowing so I just took my coat off and rolled up my sleeves and checked it out. I was right, one of my wires was loose, just about to come off. So seems wires are fine this time around. So any Taylor wire owners out there, they seem like they are still a good buy.

Back