?'S about ARP Head Stud Installation

pearl95sc

Alright, searched the forums already and can't come up with what I'm looking for here. I'm gettin ready to put the beast back together, and I need to know how to install the head studs. Do they have to be torqued in prior to installing the bolts? Do you need to follow the pattern and torque them in sequence and in steps as well. I need some words from the wise here. I'll even put some progress pictures up too. I know how much everyone loves pictures. C'mon now, help make an SC roadworthy again.

well, the arp website was no help, and I came across the one GLDIII posted when I was searching the forums. I just want to only have to do this once.

just snug them maybe 5 foot lbs. i used the moly lube and went to 70 foot lbs. in three steps. get a manual for the pattern, there are other fasteners that need to be torqued. unless you have the chevy v-6 kit you will need to cut the top of the bottom studs, or the exhaust will never bolt up. be sure to use the hardend washers between the head and nut.

The studs go in finger tight. The torque pattern is stock, start with the inside nuts and work out from the center (get a manual).

I torque in three steps 35/55/75 lb ft. YMMV

Best way to put ARP head studs. I have done this 3 times now once on my car and 2 times on Bill McNeil's car.
The first time you put them in to the block do not put thread sealant on them just turn them in all the way this will clean any thing out of the end of the threads at the bottom. Now remove them all and clean the bolts and the threads of any oil or coolant and the deck of the block (If having a hard time cleaning it use brake clean) Now get ready to start putting sealant on the 4 lower bolts on each side thread the bolts in if you have the new one with the allen head tops you can tighten them up just a little. Do the same on the other 4 on each side but with no thread sealant. Clean any extra thread sealant that might have come out.
Now it's time for the Gaskets.
Hope this Helps if you have more questions please ask.

The sequence in the manuals is what you use.
I did mine in this torque sequence
finger tight then 20-40-60-85
I'M NOT SAYING YOU SHOULD DO THE SAME FOR THE TIGHTENING OF THE BOLTS.

PS No cutting on the new super coupe sets.

Last edited:
jason, the studs i put in had the hex in the top and i still had to cut them. i did the heads on my son's car last winter, how new are the new stud kits? why the sealant? i never found any wet holes. compressed air would only come strait back out the same hole that it was blown into.

The SC kit is new for 2003 there the right size.
All the lower bolts go in to the water jakets the sealant is just to be safe.

Back