1198 dollars?

instawookie210

Is 1198 dollars worth getting my air condition fixed? The place I took it to said my condensor and evaporator is bad they gave me an estimated 8 hours to take the dash apart and put it back together to get to the condensor fixed jeez i hate living in florida!!!

I take it you mean tear the dash apart to fix the evaporator. I've never heard of a car's evaporator needing replaced but I'm sure its possible. I would get a second quote/opinion, or just have them change the condenser and juice it every summer.
It might cost that much to do, but it is not worth it in my opinion. And you have no way to tell if they did change the evaporator or not.
Julian

You could have a leak in your evap coil. the only way to find out is to isolate it and pressurize it and see if it leaks down. Your condensor coil is the one in front of your radiator. i don't see why both would need replacing at the same time.
Are you running R134 or R12 ? if your running R12 you might consider changing over since R134 is better for the enviroment. And way way cheeper. Does your compressor kick in when you turn on the AC ? i would take it to someone else. But don't tell them that you took it to anybody else and see what they say. Repost with the new findings and i'm sure u can get a little help. As far as leaking hoses pressurize the system and take a soapy water solution and spray it on the hose conections and look for bubbles. My self personally i don't recomend just changing the hoses out unless they are bad. No sense in wasting money and not getting to the problem.

Last edited:
I say rip the whole ac out. I just did it the other day and i am enjoying the extra air to the rad and ic. I never used it anyway tho it is the hottest darn summer i have seen here in Penn. ever, i am fine with the windows down. I did save the condensor tho if ya need it let me know, its not in bad shape.

yup

I had basically the same thing on my 1990 N/A t bird. i remember that word "evaporate" being muttered somewhere and i had a hose leaking... told me they had to take apart the dash just like u... estimate of i think like 600 bucks. dont know how much different this is on the SC but i know the price will be high, but definitely shop around,, good luck-
Damon

Back