wiring or ignition?

89coupe

i just recently purchases an 89 sc. it had original plug wires but the valve covers and intake manifold and oil pan were painted blue which makes me think the engine was out at one time. My problem started out with a bad bucking problem which was intermitten and it has a rough idle. Then the car die on me. It started backfiring and popping and the starter went. Its a manual by the way. It also seems like when im having trouble with it the tack reads nothing. I changed the plugs and wires, and put a starter in it. but it is still idling funny and acting up. It acts like the car is shuting of while it is still on and the car lugging the motor is making it back fire. HELP

You will need to pull the codes before anyone can really help you.
Get the codes and post them and we will see if we can figure it out.

i would probably look at crank sensor first if it is shutting off if that dont help maybe cam sensor or dis module

Sure it will, if theres anything wrong with the engine managment system. Pull codes first, if you dont get any codes.
Check your plug wires.
Did you change them?
I couldnt really tell from your post.
If you changed them make SURE you have the right wire on the right plug, you could have crossed one.

i did change the plugs and wires. the thing is that sometimes it idles fine, other times to low, and usually a lil above 1k rpm. This morning i drove it for like ten minutes and it started acting up when i rev it up the the rpm's like hop instead of going up smooth and when im driving it makes the car buck. This thing is drivin me nuts.

Back