FYI, torque converter from Art Carr

dakotaflstf

Just letting people know, I was talked into getting a 2500 stall converter from Art Carr as they claimed I would gain 50 more horse power for the cheap price of $400+. I can tell a little more increase but not near as much as what Art Carr claims. Save your money.

I am not using a Art Carr converter, but they do make very good ones. They get a HP increase two ways. First by building them with a higher torque multipication factor. Theres is in the 2.5 and above, which is very good. The other way, is if you select a Non Lockup Converter and trans. If you select this, you WILL get a good increase in 3rd and OD at lower rpms, since the the converter does not have lock up, and gets torque multiplication in these gears also. These will also handle a lot more HP, since they have a 1 piece input shaft. You must use a trans cooler with a non lock up model.

unlock.jpg

Well first off Art Carr LIED to you. There full of BS and thats why I dont use there stuff.
You cannot increase HP by changing converters.
You can change the amount of TORQUE delivered to the rear wheels but thats a whole different thing altogether.

All I know is I put a lot of money in this tranny going off of what Art Carr was telling me on how my car would perform afterwards. My car is basically stock and they new that up front. The only reason I am posting this thread is to learn from my mistake and how I was mislead. The performance that i was promised is the farthest thing from the truth that I got from Art Carr. Could I return everything, maybe, but who wants to tear everything apart again? I'm stuck.

You will get more torque off the line and your torque will remain a little higher while the converter is slipping, but the extra HP they promised isn't going to happen. But it should spin the tires easier.

If you got a non locker it will help in 3rd (more torque) but will cause you to lose mph on the track. I hope they also told you to add a tranny cooler, because the higher stall will make the transmission fluid hotter. B&M sells a nice Stack Plate 24K GVW kit for around $60 on Summit.

David

Glad to see someone with an Auto finally posted a dyno chart showing how much of a torque difference a convertor can make. The 'locked torque' above is the true power the motor is making and what it would make if it were in a 5spd car. The 'unlocked torque' is how much 'extra' the convertor makes the dyno see. Thus why an auto car (without locked convertor) will always be the highest torque car in any comparison with a 5spd but will be down a few HP on top 'cause of the slipping convertor.

Steve,

The dyno would show even more if you could hit the throttle in 3rd way down around 2500 rpms. But I can't get mine to hold 3rd below 3100 rpms and since my stall is 2700 I'm not able to see how much it's really making.

David

Back