'95 auto doesn't seem to have the grunt

a_juillerat

I recently bought a '95 auto and when I mash it from a dead stop the car won't even spin the tires. It acts like a turbocharged car, it seems to lag then pull. This condition is with the traction controll turned off. I am wondering if maybe the traction control is not turning off or what could be wrong. I had a '90 that would light the tire and pulled harder than this car does. Any suggestions would be appriciatied.
Later,
A.J.

I've been fighting the same problem with my 90. Everything I do seems to help a little but still can't spin the tires. I'm in the process of changing the plugs and wires. Hope that helps cause it's a pain in the taillights.

There was new plugs and wires put on it before I bought it, but maybe the guy used parts that don't agree with the SC. I like the not spinning if I knew it was from good traction and not lack of power.

Plugs and wires will not cause that problem, save your money.
How does the car run other than the lack of power?
Does it idle pretty good?
Has your gas mileage dropped off? If so how bad?
Do you have any codes stored in the comp?

It runs well other wise. It gets about 18 city and 26-27 highway. I have only owned it for a month so I really don't have a past history to compare to. I haven't had a chance to grab the codes yet. It does everyonce and a while when shifting from drive to reverse the motor will idle down real low and the check engine light will flicker then it levels right back out and idles fine. The car only has 67,000 miles on it but I think they have been abused miles. I am not so sure there isn't a rod going out. If I run it up to between 3-4000 rpm when the load is removed from the engine is hammers a little before shifting.

Any update on this? I have the same problem with my car as well. I've changed the plugs and wires(magnacore), done exhaust and cai but it still doesn't light them up like it used to. I also rebuilt the trans and unhooked the battery, but to no avail it still bogs off the line, but once it starts making boost she's off.

my 89 auto never spun the tires off the line..My 94 auto didnt either....My 89 stock ran a 15.4 at the track..Better then most..So dont judge lack of tire spin as no power..Although a 15.4 is slow anyway:O)

Hey Damon-
Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining about the tires not smoking off the line like they used to, but it just makes me wonder what's going on. Here's the situation:
Since I had the trans rebuilt it's kind of random when the tires light up. Sometimes they do off the line, and sometimes they will start burning off once I'm moving. I have to admit that before I had my trans rebuilt they wouldn't spin over off at all, so that(the trans) might have something to do with it, but I have a feeling that it's a bad sensor or a vaccuum leak somewhere.

Seems your car is running good however whenever a car is inconsistent like that it raises red flags...When my tranny was screwed up it would do strange things such as your saying..In my 94 no less....Perhaps you have a valvebody problem..Does the car shift ok??...Does it shift consistently the same??

well when the tranny guy had it apart he said that the bearing was spinning inside the drum, causing metal chunks to flow through my valvebody. According to him he cleaned the valvebody and fixed the other things so that it's running smoothly again. The car shifts really good now and seems consistent.
I'm going to check for leaks as soon as it's liveable outside again, because what mike said seems to make sense and I will also see if I can't have a trans shop in town here run codes on the tranny to make sure nothing is screwed up with that.

lacking power

In the summer time my car feels like I threw out an anchor.but let it get to be 30 something and I spin all the way through 2nd and a little in 3rd.I guess if I had a good IC it wouldn't be so dramatic.Summertime might be your problem.

Re: lacking power

j rick kirby said:
In the summer time my car feels like I threw out an anchor.but let it get to be 30 something and I spin all the way through 2nd and a little in 3rd.I guess if I had a good IC it wouldn't be so dramatic.Summertime might be your problem.
Youre right high humidity can cause that. I live in an area that normaly has very high humidity during the summer months and suffer these kinds of problems. When fall and winter come along everything clears up, benn this way for over 10 years.
This summer however the high humidity has not been here very much and has moved to other parts of the country that usually dont have that much humidity. The result of that is my engines arent suffering from lower power output near as much. Theres only been a couple of days that it was really noticeable.
That may be the whole problem, I dont know.
If youre having higher humidity than you normaly do that could be the problem because it will effect the performance noticeably.

OK I finally had a chance to run the codes and here is what I got. Code 157 mass air below min voltage. I think this is an old code from when I started the car with out the mass air hooked up. Code 538 insufficent change in RPM, what is causing this and is it a bad thing? Code 632, I cannot find anywhere what this code means. None of the web sites list this fault code. I don't see anything that could be slowing me down, but I am curious to find out what 632 means. I did run neck and neck with a '99 or newer GT drop top the other day and started to pull him when he left off, so maybe it's not really running that slow.

a_juillerat said:
OK I finally had a chance to run the codes and here is what I got. Code 157 mass air below min voltage. I think this is an old code from when I started the car with out the mass air hooked up. Code 538 insufficent change in RPM, what is causing this and is it a bad thing? Code 632, I cannot find anywhere what this code means. None of the web sites list this fault code. I don't see anything that could be slowing me down, but I am curious to find out what 632 means. I did run neck and neck with a '99 or newer GT drop top the other day and started to pull him when he left off, so maybe it's not really running that slow.

I know how you feel; from a roll my car is lethal(well, as lethal as a 3900lb bird can be) but from a dead stop I can't get tire spin. Only from a 5mph roll or better my car lights them up. Of course my problem didn't start until Ford worked on my car, but they said they didn't do anything wrong(and that was two years ago). I hope someone can solve this problem that plagues us.

Bogging down

Got the SAME problem. I have a 93 5-speed that will trounce my 95 auto. Here's where it gets weird. The 95 just had the heads done and a complete rebuild of the longblock. The 95 supercharger gives me at least 12psi and my 93 barely gets 10. The 95's transmission was just completely rebuilt ($900).
The 95 has not run correct since I got it back from my mechanic, detonation at WOT and a slugish start off the line. My check engine light comes on and stays on at times but I havent pulled codes. Thought I might have a fuel pressure problem and I honestly could not tell you what injectors in the car.

Fuel pressure seems to be OK but how do you increase the pressure regulator?

I have heard that low fuel pressure will run it lean at WOT. This car came from the backwoods in Alabama and I have been dumping money into ever since I bought it almost two years ago. I also have a slight overheat problem and noticed that the previous owner installed a two-wire single speed fan.

Do you think the low speed fan would cause overheating?

Also suspect maybe the cam / crank sensor are failing but the throttle response is horrible... feels a lot like turbo lag.

HI, MY NAME IS RUSWIN... I OWN A SUPERCOUPE.

(FEEL LIKE THIS IS A SUPPORT GROUP)

Back