Stuttering SC

2D Chance

My 94 SC is having a hard time recovering from the accident last october. There is a bumping noise and feel from the engine when its idling (It actually sounds and feels like I have a small subwoofer in the trunk). Sometimes it is a rapid bumping, and others its sporatic. When under WOT load the car will seem like it's skipping a beat, or missing. The car did it before the accident, I replaced the plugs, it went away, I played Dukes of Hazard, it came back worse. Could I have knocked some sensor loose or jarred some fragile electical piece (i.e. the MAF wire) to the point of faulty operation. Which of the following, if inoperable or malfunctioning, could cause such symptoms: Idle Air Control Valve, Throttle Position Sensor, Air Temp Sensor, Exhaust Oxygen Sensor, Powertrain Control Module, Cam Position Sensor, Ignition Control Module. Now the check engine light has not come on so whatever is wrong isn't registering in the computer and won't show up on a diagnostics check. Again, any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Lee Klimala
94 SC
Member # (the check is in the mail)

Could be a bad plug wire(s), or not fully seated on the plug.

Another possibliity, and easier to fix, is put fresh thermal compund under the DIS. Re-seat (clean) connectors between DIS, Cam sensor and coilpak. Although I'd expect it to throw codes with those.

In other words, do the simple easy stuff 1st. ;)

Last edited:
Dampener Failure

Please no....I had a warped dampener on my 69 plymouth. not fun and not cheap to fix.

The only reason I don't suspect it is that it dosen't look bent or anything. Is there something especially different about our dampeners compared to the average dampener? How to tell if it is falling apart?

Check your motor mounts, sounds like there shot.
That will cause that mini subwoofer thang. If youre not getting any codes then nothing in the ECU(sensors and such) is wrong.
Your problem is strictly mechanical.
Check those mounts.

Last edited:
motor mounts

i doubt it is them b/c it comes through the exhaust.

i read through some other threads in the forum and found one that seemed similar, they replaced all the sensors and dampener and ended up dumping about 10 grand into the motor and it was still stock. and still stuttering. turned out to be the head gasket. i guess water in the oil would be the only way to decide that one , besides taking the heads off.

Leaky headgaskets are pretty easy to find actualy. Do a leakdown test on the cooling system and you will find out if its the HG's. Throwing parts at a problem will only lighten your billfold
and like you said you end up with thousands of dollars in the motor and still have the problem. I dont understand why anybody goes about it that way, just doesnt make sense.:)

$1 diagnostic tool

I found out on friday what was causing the bumping noise. 99% sure it's burnt exhaust valves. Took the ol' dollar to the tailpipe to figure it out. Sure beats replaceing a thousand dollars worth of sensors and still having the problem. Any thoughts or comments as to "what I might as well do" since I'll have the heads off, besides change the spark plugs. Any suggestions for headers?

Thanks for your input.

Back