Starter on it's way out???

MN12 KID

Lately, I've been getting a single click, when I turn the key - that's it!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'll hold the key in the start position for and extra ten seconds, after the one click, then the starter finally turns over to start the car.

Is this a sign of a dying starter, or is it something else?

If it's the starter, where exactly is it located on a '92 5spd.?

Yep that is a sign of a dying starter. when you attempt to start car does you radio climate control and dash dim. This is a sign that the starter is drawing extra power from battery because it is getting weak. Starter is on passenger side look around the area where the catalytic converter is.

Ignition switch???

Sounds like it could be the ignition switch (a well known point of failure for our birds). The "click" makes me think of a dead battery, but since the car will crank after a few tries, it leads me to think the starter isn't getting juice through the switch. Are you getting any other "odd" electrical symptoms like no dash lights from time to time?

Re: Ignition switch???

LJGriggs said:
Sounds like it could be the ignition switch (a well known point of failure for our birds). The "click" makes me think of a dead battery, but since the car will crank after a few tries, it leads me to think the starter isn't getting juice through the switch. Are you getting any other "odd" electrical symptoms like no dash lights from time to time?

No other odd electrical symptoms - just the starter. It's definitely not the battery. Diehard Gold batteries kick ***. I got it two years ago, so I still have plenty of time, before it decides to give up on me.

Last edited:
stocker 89 said:
Yep that is a sign of a dying starter. when you attempt to start car does you radio climate control and dash dim. This is a sign that the starter is drawing extra power from battery because it is getting weak. Starter is on passenger side look around the area where the catalytic converter is.

Yeah, they dim a lot from the resistance.

battery cables

clean out your battery cables rea good and the terminals too you might also want to check you ignition swith under the steering wheel white box when you remove the bottom covers

Re: battery cables

got-sc? said:
clean out your battery cables rea good and the terminals too you might also want to check you ignition swith under the steering wheel white box when you remove the bottom covers

The battery cables are fine - terminals are as good as new. I clean and dielectric grease them, regularly. The starter solenoid looks fine, too. I'll look into the ignition switch, ASAP. I don't wanna wind up stuck, anywhere anytime soon. :p

If all else fails, I'll just replace the starter.

stocker 89 said:
Does it also make a wer wer wer wer lagging sound right before it starts up.

Exactamundo!

It sounds like it's lagging/weak/binding.

*click.........10 seconds later.....:confused: :confused: .....wer.......wer-VROOOOOOOM!*

Last edited:
When you do replace the starter. tighten the top bolt up first so you get a good seat with the flywheel. You will know if the seat is bad it will make a screaching backlash sound if it is not installed properly when you go to start the car. It helps to shut all the accessorys off before you attempt to start.

I would at least get the battery check. Never know, could have a bad cell, before you go out and spring for a starter. Could just be the battery!

Calvin

I had a similar problem, just wait and it'll start, but it got much worse. It turned out to be the wire from the soleniod to the starter, the plastic cover crumbled away and the connection was weak. I replaced the fitting and now she starts every time. Might be worth a look its a two cent part.

Back