Brake problems

super16g

I had a problem in my 89 SC that when I hit the brakes,the ABS and brake lights would flash.Eventually,the pedal got rock hard and the car would not stop unless I pushed the pedal with all my might.So I went and changed the accumulator with a used one.Upon removal of the old one,I noticed the old one was filled with brake fluid and I know thats not normal.Anyway,I swapped in the used one I purchased and I still have a rock hard pedal and barely any brakes?Is it your opinion that I just purchased another bad accumulator or does the problem lie somewhere else?Any info would be greatly appreciated...

In general, filled with fluid isn't good. But there can be fluid in there and have it work a bit. But it shouldn't have a lot of fluid in it.

The down side to how your problem developed is you could have burnt out the hydraulic motor. when the accumulator is failing, it requires the hydraulic motor to run very often. It's not designed for such a high duty cycle and can burn out.

When you turn the key to on, you should be able to hear the pump motor for both the fuel pump, and the hydraulic motor. the hydraulic motor sound will come from the master cylinder. The fuel pump is in the rear. If you don't hear it, that can be one of two things.

Try the cheap one first. There is a brown relay on the passenger side of the firewall. This is for the hydraulic pump motor. It can fail. replace that first. It's about $20.00. If that doesn't fix it, You almost have to guess that the problem is the motor is burnt out.

Keep in mind though that if you hear the motor run, then it could just be that the used accumulator is junk as well.

Back