don't wanna crash

93atlsc

93 sc, auto.......I use a lot brake fluid, but when i search for leaks I can never find it. I never see fluid on the ground and the leak has been getting worse. Sometimes my ABS light comes on, but it always goes back off. I may have to restart the car though. PLEASE HELP!! I was thinking it may be the proportioning valve switch.

Although I have new brakes and rotors in the front , I still feel as if the brakes are not up to par. On a 1 to 10 scale I would give mine a 6. I have to add brake fluid about every day and a half.

No they are not high performance brakes. I feel like my stopping power is not as good as it should be. Plus, Ive been adding fluid for so long now, that I can tell when my fluids low. Like I said thats about every day and a half now. When i first got the car I didn't have any complaints about the brakes. My complaints came when I had to start adding fluid. I may have some air in my line from having to add so much fluid. So I have to find out where the leak is. I'm thinking proportioning valve switch. What do u think?

I honestly don't know.

If that is what you think then that is it. All you can do is get all the air out of them . Do a complete check of the system. The low fluid will set off the light. So as long as they are stopping good . When you smash the brake pedal how do they react?

You have a leak somewhere.
Look the whole system down real good. Somewhere your gonna find an oily spot at 1 or more of the wheels or 1 of the connections in the brake lines, maybe even a bleeder valve leaking.
Since your loosing fluid that often and in that quantity you have a leak.
Check the entire system real good.

At times They feel as if they have an air pocket in the line. Sometimes they are harder than others. Part of the reason may be that I'm comparing them to some of my other cars brakes, but I'm never going near as fast in my other cars. I FLY!!! LOL

So your car has absolutly no drips? If you have to add fluid, you have a leak.. period. If not leaking outside the car, the leaking inside is the next place to look. Check the carpet on the drivers side looking for a oily feel.

Hmmm, I think the 93 has the standard vacuum boost master cylinder, so you could also blown a seal in the vacuum booster and the fluid is filling that up. Have you noticed a reduction in assist power?

The loss of stoping power is coming directly from the fact that fluid is leaking out, thus a hard pedal just isn't possible, which means full force at the brakes isn't possible.

If you are certain the leak is not coming from one of the wheels or a brake line, it has to be leaking inside the master cylinder.

Theres no oily feel on the driver side and I've never seen any fluid on the ground or inside the rims.

YEP good luck

Do try to find it cause trying to take the lines off the master cylinder are a bummer at least in my two cases . I never got them to come apart.

93atlsc said:
Theres no oily feel on the driver side and I've never seen any fluid on the ground or inside the rims.

The fluid has to go somewhere. I'd be thinking it's the booster failed on the master cylinder and it's filling up with fluid. I'm not sure how you can verify that. Maybe someone has an idea.

Anyone out there familiar with the brake booster filling up with fluid when going bad. It still seems as if there has to be point where even that has to leak somewhere.

Well most of the time when the master cylinder seals go out you will notice wet fluid on the vac booster beneath the master cylinder. You probably cant see it too well so rub your hand on the vac booster in that area beneath the mastercylinder.

Wow the 93's have a vac booster?
I'd love to see some good pics of that.
Can you put any up?

brake line

I just had the line from the bottom of the master cylinder blow out. That's a strange looking line, hard rubber that looks as though it's reinforced on the outside, of all things. My mechanic cut off the bad part and simply reclamped the thing in place; however, I know that's a temporary fix.

The car is a Anniversary SC with auto. I'm still looking for a replacement for that hose...and having zero luck.

dgpaz@earthlink.net in Tucson, AZ

Back