PDA

View Full Version : Cup Holder instalation

SCCOA5
08-16-2003, 06:18 PM
My 1989 ' Bird is in need of cup holder. Specifically, what is the procedure to remove the the enclosure below the radio for those of us that do not have a DVD or whatever went into that hole. The converted coin holder will not fit until the thing is removed. I need in put before I trash the dash.

FearThis SC
08-16-2003, 06:50 PM
Here's what you do:

Take a piece of cardboard, then cut two pieces - 1inch by 1inch squares. The 2 tabs in the top of the tray need to be bent down a little, so when you bend the first one down (with a small flat head screwdriver), slide in one of those cardboard pieces to hold the tab out. Then do the same for the other side, and BAM....it will slide right out.

Calvin

Tin-Knocker105
08-16-2003, 10:46 PM
Before you install the cupholder you need to coax the cable bundle thats in there out of the way. Just gently push it aside untill there's enough room for the cupholder.

Mike8675309
08-17-2003, 01:26 AM
The clues above help to remove the cubby hole. It's retained by those big sucking tabs that you can pry up.

Then also test fit everything before forcing it in. Once you get it in, it's really hard to get back out. Leave the trays out of it when putting it in. Then you'll see a bundle of wires in the back that get in the way of the pointy ends of the inserts. You'll need to shove them over a bit.l

pops90sc
08-22-2003, 03:58 PM
Hey Calvin,

Thanks for the tip, it worked like a charm. The tray came right out. Now I can install the cupholder I recently bought from Mr. Tinknocker, with the mods already done!

Many Thanks, to both of you.

B

FearThis SC
08-22-2003, 05:03 PM
Excellent!

Cheers,
Calvin

Tin-Knocker105
08-22-2003, 08:14 PM
Cool Dude

instawookie210
08-23-2003, 09:30 AM
I just got me a peice of aluminum to fit my change holder some inch and a half sheetrock screws for each corner and used a 2 and a quarter inch holesaw to cut my cup sizes and thin line of silicone around my hole to keep it from cutting the cups