removing ac condensor/compressor

Tazer999

well i am eliminating my ac seeing as it is a waste of space and i never use it anyways.

how do i bleed out the system and get rid of the pressure in the system? It has been converted to r134-a

When i did mine i released the pressure from the shrader valve towards the condensor with a small flathead screwdriver, then started cutting. Instead of removing the intake/tb/inlet plenum, i find it easier for me to unbolt the SC/upper ic tube/inlet plenum/tb and take it off as a whole. (Ya need room to work in the back by the firewall) Worked out great because the rad/ic has to get yanked out anyway. I cut the 2 lines going into the firewall and unbolted the (compressor?) black canister that actually holds the fryon. The two lines that go to the belt assembly part are a pita, i yanked the one nearest to the pass side and twisted it till it tore, but the other line that raps around the bottom and then comes back up into it is impossible to yank or get a saw in there, at least it was for me. That crap is still hanging there until i get up some money for the ac delete pulley. Good luck.

and you can give me the A/C parts aslong as you don't butcher them.. like the pump and condensor :)

Save the hoses too. Their expensive to replace. you can resell all of that.

Just make sure you exhaust it in a open area. You don't want it in an enclosed space as it will displace oxygen.

If they are still in working order :) Also I can swing by on my way to/from Alberta.. also i do have the CORRECT tools for removal i can bring?? Hmm I can even make it a day trip to and fro What 6-8 hours driving... HECK if i can do that one round trip i did a few years ago after PK that should be a walk in the park...

When Email me, or Talk to me on our board.. maybe someone else will want to tag along <??>

and the hose to from the condensor to drier would be nice.. specially if it's been replaced in the R134A conversion (and those parts too ;) )

Last edited:
A old condensor coil makes a GREAT transmission cooler also, if you are using a non lockup converter, or high stall speed. With my 3500 stall, and non lock up system, I never see above 140 degrees trans temp. Flush it out good, then run a couple of quarts of aft through it prior to use. I do not drive it in the Winter, so its not a problem with running too cool.

I have a A/C condensor already that has AN `style' fittings <forget the true name of them> that i was debating on using as a Tranny cooler... :) but this condensor is only like 14"x 24"x 1.5"

Tazer999 said:
and nothing is toxic? Doesn't matter if it leaks out anywhere?
Let me clear it up for you :D Its illegal to purposely vent any refrigerant to the atmosphere in the US. OK?.. Clear nuff?

Having made that clear, something to be aware of is the cans of keyboard cleaner/duster you buy at places like Sams and Walmart, contain r134a. :eek: You can spray as many keyboards as you like with them, but you cannot legally vent r134a out of your automotive A/C into the atmosphere. :confused: :confused:

I'm not advising what to do or what not to do, but Canada may have different laws.

R12 though does not have a 0 Ozone Depeletion Factor like r134a. They don't make a keyboard duster out of R12. Its best to have that reclaimed and save a penquin or 2.:D

Back