Studder

IowaSc

The car has a really bad studder when the cruise is on it jerks really bad(not all the time), and it will come right out of it if i floor it, and has a rough idle some times
Im thinking its the intercooler but im not sure, and pluse what would you use to seal it i went to the Ford Delership and they dont even know and wouldnt look it up with out charging me(really nice Huh) so i need help I need the car for collage, and i leave on tuesday so i need to get the car fixed ASAP.

Any help would be greatly Aprecaited,

I think I know whats wrong, sure sounds awfully familliar.
Pull your codes and tell me what they are.
I'd like to have a little more info first.

Not a lot of info

That is not a lot of info to go on, but I would say that you are barking up the wrong tree with the intercooler thing. When was the last time you had a tune up? How old are the plugs and wires? I think that might be a good place to start.

lemme guess Mike, you are thinking IAC or TPS

Dave

Lets see, i just had the intercooler off so im asumming thats where the problem came form, It has 160k, 5 k on the motor spark plugs, wires, new injectors, and new fuel pump and filter so i dobt that

NO NO NO dont start taking parts off the car. Youre gonna cause more problems attacking it that way. Why on earth did you think it was the intercooler?
Now we have a HUGE potential for vac leaks and will have to find them and then fix them on top of your simple problem which if I'm right would have only took 15 minutes to fix.
I hope youre not busy for the next couple of days, sure would have been nice doing some things you wanted to do before leaving for school. But now you may be working on the car for that time.

Re: Not a lot of info

Big Cat Davo said:
That is not a lot of info to go on, but I would say that you are barking up the wrong tree with the intercooler thing. When was the last time you had a tune up? How old are the plugs and wires? I think that might be a good place to start.

lemme guess Mike, you are thinking IAC or TPS

Dave
No Dave I had something else equely as simple in mind but I'm affraid to say anything at this point until he will give me some more info because he may disassemble the engine next.

ok guys i took the intercooler off befor then the problem started, and it wont take me all day or a week to fix i just need to know how to seal the intercooler thats my problem, i believe, the engine is all put together and runs right know im not a moron i am going to school to work on fords, i just want to know what to use to seal the intercooler

Ok another thing there are no codes, and besides it dosnt act up constintly only part time so the tps or the idle air control would cause that

Sealing

Some of the more common stuff to seal the IC is the Teflon tape from ford, or Commper RTV, personally I used Wynn's teflon gaskets. He posts here as Tbird88, seach his post and then click on his linky to he for sale page, his gaskets are reusable and the seal great.

Dave

IowaSc said:
ok guys i took the intercooler off befor then the problem started, and it wont take me all day or a week to fix i just need to know how to seal the intercooler thats my problem, i believe, the engine is all put together and runs right know im not a moron i am going to school to work on fords, i just want to know what to use to seal the intercooler

I'm glad you got it figured.
Sure would have helped to know in the first place that you had this problem AFTER removing and reinstalling the Intercooler.
Iwasnt trying to imply that you were a moron its just a bad habit alot of people have of taking parts off before they even really have an idea what could be causing the problem.
Going to school to become a mechanic you will learn the importance of good comunication between mechanic and client in troubleshooting.;)
Good luck to you.

Back