Chips

Blownaway

Hello again fellow Birdheads:) ,
At this time I am thinking of installing a chip in my 95 SC automatic.
The question at this point is who's chip should I buy.
Thought I'd listen to some suggestions before I took the plung.
Your replies will be welcomed and greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I have a superchip in my 94 auto..Came with the car..When I pulled it out I noticed a few things..Car shifted a tad softer..Seemed to have less Throttle responce and all of a sudden had a speed limiter..However when I started raising my boost and di da crap load of other stuff....Teh chip was causing em to detonate due to raising teh timing I assume...Anyway not sure its worth the money but I persionally noticed the difference

The only engine mod at this point is air silencer removed.
My plans are :
K&N filter (cone or panel).
underdrive pulleys. etc. etc.
All of the usual bolt on stuff, but planed on letting those things wait untill after the exaust upgrade (except the chip).
Thought the chip would help with the somewhat sluggish shifting of the trans.

I just put a TransGo shift kit in my '95 SC & I'm VERY happy with it. A well-spent hundred bucks. If you go that route, make sure you take a look at the 1-2 accumulator piston. Mine had the old aluminum one, & it still shifted sluggish even after the shift kit. I bought the upgraded piston from Ford for around $10. HUGE difference now. Chirps 'em in 2nd very easily now.

Blownaway said:
Thought the chip would help with the somewhat sluggish shifting of the trans.

I have an Apten chip in my 95, mainly for that reason, and you will be happy with it. I say its worth it.
J-mod will help too. One of these days I will get to it....
Julian

Thanks for your response Julian,
but what is the J-mod?
And can someone give a performance comparison on the Apten chip and the one that Supercoupe Performance sells?

Go with Apten

I have a '95 auto SC with SCP exhaust including coated headers, 180 degree tstat, 5% blower overdrive pulley, and the Apten chip. The chip firmed up the shifts, gave better throttle response, and made the car much more enjoyable to drive. IMO, it was worth the bucks. ($250) I believe I need to do the 1-2 accumulator (J-Mod) soon, though.

I can't wait to see how it will perform with some top end mods.

Don Klitzke
Prospect, TN

Save your money and buy something worth it like the 3/4 top or another mod.

even with no modifications, a properly tuned chip will give you cooler fan settings, slighly improved fuel economy, and more power (on average 15RWHP more). Try to get that from a TB or raised top alone, you won't. Also if you have a 94-95 auto it improves shifting.

If you have more modifications done, a chip or tuner may be necessary. Change in injectors or MAF, cam upgrade, more boost, different heads, and deleted EGR can all benifit from chip tweaking.

as far as brand quality, Apten and Super Coupe Performance are the only two that offer custom tuning. I would stick with those and stay away from off the shelf stuff.

Brian Herron

Thanks Brian and Don,
In your opinions is it a good idea to go with both the chip and a Trans Go shift kit, or one or the other (understanding that the J-mod should be done with either) ?
Ron.

just do the jerry modifications. To to www.tccoa.com and go to tech articles. Then go to "transmissions". In there you need to read "transmissions 101" and "shift kit installation". That will explain everything and give directions.

Brian

Back