FYI...94-95 pusher fan test & results...

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
I've been meaning to fiddle with my fans for better cooling on my 94 sc....today i did some rewiring and managed to connect the pusher fan on the outside of the radiator to a switch inside the center console hoping that it would help with cooling.
The RESULTS:
Unfortunatelly the fan is either too small or the 'pushing' action is not as efficient as the 'pulling' of the big fan...nontheless, the fan really does nothing for cooling when the engine is opperating. The temperature continues to rise even when the fan is on the whole time. It does somewhat cool once the engine is off, but not while its running

CONCLUSION:
Im going to try and see if its possible to turn, or reverse, the fins on the fan and re-test to see if there is any difference. If not then I will spend countless hours pondering as to WHY IN HELL ford decided to put a pretty much obsolete fan on these SC's. The only thing that I see from this fan is rewiring it and using it to cool the engine at the track or something.

Attached is a lil diagram i made while doing my hw on the fan which explains the factory operation of the pusher fan. One small correction: the pusher fan relay is mounted directly to the fender on the (facing the engine) top drivers side corner of the engine compartment (next to the brake booster & clutch fluid reservoir on 5speeds) , not inside the wheel-well like the diagram sais. Its a small black relay mounted on a metal frame.

Attachments

• factory operation of 94-95 super coupe pusher fan.jpg
    factory operation of 94-95 super coupe pusher fan.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 523
Well, thats an option, burning a chip for different cut-on temps for the fans is also an option...but the biggest factor that made me try this out is money. Im almost through with college, have 2 SC's, credit card bills and a girlfriend....money is not necessarily available for buying a bigger rad or burning a $200 chip. Besides, for the money that these things would cost I would rather spend on otehr mods. This whole experiment costed me about 5 bux to try...no big loss...the switch I will use at a later time and the wire is always useful for whatever reason so even though it didnt work, i will not waste any material. Im looking for inexpensive ways to better the SC and doing things that would keep the factory look...besides, this should add to the tech-library for SC's and things not-to-try.

LOL!!! Yeah I understand the money thing but think about this.
By spending that $200 on other mods rather than getting a bigger rad. You will have an engine that is more taxing to the already inadaquete(spelling) cooling system, so you will need that rad anyway.
Fans and such wont really cure the cooling problems with this car.
The cooling system is just too small.
Get it running cool first then do engine mods because it doesnt make sense to build more performance if you cant cool what you already have.

I guess in this case its a matter of choice. Plenty of people have made their cooling systems more efficient w/o upgrading to a bigger radiator. It might not be the most 'proper' way to better cooling, but it might be just as effective and effiecient I.E cutting the #14 & #17 wires from the IRCM. Its not the best way to do it, but its relatively EASY to do and w/o spending money...which makes a big difference to some. In my case i will try to avoid cutting factory wires as much as possible...with the tests I did for the pusher fan I didnt cut any, i just had to fiddle with the connector a bit and used quick connect splicers, but when I put it back together it will be completely as from the factory. Either way, one must be done because as you say, and im sure most agree, the cooling system is definatelly too small for the engine system of our SC's...so its a matter of choice and of finding a half way point between spending the big bux and finding a good 'fix' for the problem.

Good evening

I totally agree with you the A/C fan CFM is probably inadequate (I have one from a 95 I purchased at the salvage yard) for cooling. I also believe the condenser fins are part of problem. I'll explain. The 93 I bought came with a DIY A/C fan (probably from a Honda) along with associated wiring control bolted to the radiator support. It never added cooling increase even with a re core 3 row radiator improvement. In fact with both fans on there would be increase temp (from N to M on the gauge) on stop and go traffic. I was about to remove the fan and replace it with the 95 when I took a closer look at the condenser. From what I could see (with the radiator installed) the condenser required a "comb" to straighten out the fins. But that was nothing. The front was much, much worse. I would est. 30 - 40% of the fins had "rolled" back. After combing and cleaning both sides, replacing both front and back condenser insulation foam and reinstalling the radiator, there was a improvement in temp reduction especially at highway speeds (from M to between N/O on the gauge). That's with and without the A/C fan running. And yes I have cut the #14 wire to the main fan. Now that may not mean much but where I'm am the summer temperatures can exceed 115 o F so anything heat reduction is a huge bonus for me.

Good Wrenching and Good Luck.

Last edited:
Good evening

I totally agree with you the A/C fan CFM is probably inadequate (I have one from a 95 I purchased at the salvage yard) for cooling. I also believe the condenser fins are part of problem. I'll explain. The 93 I bought came with a DIY A/C fan (probably from a Honda) along with associated wiring control bolted to the radiator support. It never added cooling increase even with a re core 3 row radiator improvement. In fact with both fans on there would be increase temp (from N to M on the gauge) on stop and go traffic. I was about to remove the fan and replace it with the 95 when I took a closer look at the condenser. From what I could see (with the radiator installed) the condenser required a "comb" to straighten out the fins. But that was nothing. The front was much, much worse. I would est. 30 - 40% of the fins had "rolled" back. After combing and cleaning both sides, replacing both front and back condenser insulation foam and reinstalling the radiator, there was a improvement in temp reduction especially at highway speeds (from M to between N/O on the gauge). That's with and without the A/C fan running. And yes I have cut the #14 wire to the main fan. Now that may not mean much but where I'm am the summer temperatures can exceed 115 o F so anything heat reduction is a huge bonus for me.

Good Wrenching and Good Luck.

Where are you located? My issue is not necessarily with cooling...fortunately I'm ok in that department right now, but my AC started to get a tad warm and temps are on the rise in my neck of the woods so I started doing some reading. I figure a quick thing to try is to get the pusher fan working manually to see if more flow in the condenser fixes my problem or if I should be looking elsewhere.

Back