$#@%$# garages

redtbirdsc

A few months ago i took my bird to a garage to have new tires put on and balanced. Yesterday I tried to take the wheels off and the "special" lug nut was on so tight that it cracked right down the center and now I cant get the f$@kin wheel off. My dad said that he can use a torch to get it off but i am worried that he will mess up the rim.
Is there any other way to get it off besides a torch or just use the torch and hope for the best? After I get that stupid thing off I am going to get "normal" lug nuts.

sorry for the rant i had to vent

Chris

Go for a drive with a little stop and go driving. The brakes will heat the rim up like it always does. Then go home and try it again. if that doesnt work then take it back to them and tell them to get it off.

It's not as if these things don't break on a regular basis even if the torque figure is correct.

Anyway, luckily there are specialty tools made for just such an emergency. Tire stores should have one somewhere in the shop if it hasn't "walked off."

Do a search - there was a good thread on this fairly recently. I think some people mentioned using a chisel and some other methods too.

Anti-Theft lug nuts

Are you using the OEM anti-theft lug nuts? They were made by McGard. If you have the registration number, contact McGard & they'll help you.

I split one of my OEM anti-theft lugs once. Sent McGard a letter explaining everything. They send me a FREE tool to get'em off. It has a collar around it which prevents the split/broken lug nut from expanding/breaking.

I dunno about other companies policies, but McGard went the extra mile to help me!

68COUGAR

My anti-theft lugs were seized up pretty bad, but my mechanic used these "nut buster" things with his air wrench and that was that.

Thanks for the replies guys.Driving the car around wont work cause it is out of commision until sometime next year.
I am gonna go and try to find somthing that will take it off this weekend.

thanks again
Chris

First, soak it with some penetrant over night. Next, get an impact socket just a size smaller than the smallest one which will fit over it and tap it on gently with a hammer. You can then use a breaker bar to get it off.

Paul

Back