exhaust manifold studs

redmonster

I need to replace two broken studs where the manifold and pipe come together .Does anybody have any tips on getting these out? I could not get them to move so I was thinking about cutting them off flush ,drilling them and using an extractor, will this work?

If there is anything to grab onto, try using vise grips. Cutting and using an easy-out might work as well. You will never know until you try. Make sure you use self-locking nuts (not the ones with the plastic) and anti-seize on the new ones.

I have sometimes used a 10" pipewrench on those with good success. The good thing about the pipewrench is that the harder you pull the wrench the more it bites so you dont end up sliping the wrench on the stud. It may also help to heat the manifold so it will break the bond between the stud and manifold.

Yeah theres not enough room to do it then.
I would just remove the manifold them. In the long run it would be quicker to do that because its gonna be hard to fix it in place.
The stud will probably twist off before it comes out anyway.
Get the manifold out and try the pipewrench again as I said it will probably break, but at least you can drill it out and retap it very easily then.
When you reinstall the exhaust use anti seize on every bolt and you shouldnt have that problem again should you need to remove the exhaust components again.

I think I will leave them on, I have the tranny out right now so I have enough room to buzz them off with my dremel and then drill them out .Should be a piece of cake (LOL) I will not get to work on it until tomorrow night though, but I will let you know how it goes.

Back