Rebuilt motor won't run

VTBIRD

Got everything bolted on, motor started, ran rough, then died. Does anyone have the procedure for pulling codes?:confused:

Try it again. The comp may just need some time to relearn.
Let me suggest that you go to the parts store and get a repair manual on the car. Doing a job of this size you need one and theres no excuse for not having one.
Please dont take offense at what I've said. I dont mean it that way, but having the book will help you.
Did you build this engine yourself?

I feel your pain. I have been trying to get mine started for the last six months after rebuild. I had way to many hands in mine. I am by know means and expert, just had a lot odf suggestions from this board. My problems: Plug wire switched on 4 and 6. Vaccum line open under the wiper area. I reset the timing myself after letting others do it. Also, I had tried to crank so much, I was a quart high with fuel. Bottom line, changed oil, quadruple checked wires, vaccum hoses and rest timing. It Lives.

Mike, I did the rebuild myself and I do have a manual to refer to but I believe the problem to be electrical and I need the procedure to pull codes, I've checked all vacuum lines, connections, etc.. When the motor ran I had no tach, and I believe when I had the timing cover off I rotated the cam sensor. So could it be out of sync? Is there another approach I should take?

Thanks
Chris Knipes

OK I'm gonna stay with you for awhile and help you.
Go to chapter 6 page 5 there you will see the procedure for pulling the codes. After you have read it come back and we will talk about it.
I have the book right here with me that way when you have qeustions I can look at exactaly what youre looking at.
We'll see if we can get you going.
Its really simple, its just a little intimidating the first time.

Gotta work tomorrow, then school tomorrow night so I won't be able to get back to it until Wed afternoon, I'll post then.

Thanks.

Car is still hard starting, wont run for more than 30 sec, the dies, KOEO is 111=pass , Memory codes are 212 and 214 and I have a list of the three digit codes but not exactly sure where to go from here. Mike if you're out there please reply.

Chris Knipes

Chris:
212=Loss of Ignition Diagnostic Moniter(IDM) Input to ECA/SPOUT circuit grounded.
214=Cylinder Identification(CID) circuit failure.

Code 214 is telling you is that the comp is not getting a signal from the cam sensor.
Check your wire connections to the cam sensor. Make sure all the connections are clean and making good contact.
Did you happen to install a new cam sensor?
Code 212 is telling you that the comp is not getting a spout signal from your DIS module. Again check ALL connections to the DIS module make sure everything is clean and making good contact.

Post back and tell me what you find.

Just checked connections and tried to start again, nogo, same codes. Just so you know I'm an electronics tech and I pretty good with a meter if that helps. By the way I didn't install a new sensor during the rebuild I believe the shaft did get rotated in the process though, can almost gaurentee it. Did have occasional no start problems last summer prior to storage.

Last edited:
Good to hear your an electronics tech, that means we will be speaking the same language!!!:D
Check all the wires going to the cam sensor for continuity to make sure none of them are broken or shorted out.
Do the same thing on your DIS module wires because the 2 components are connected to one another and the DIS module sends the IDM signal to the comp.
The comp says its not getting an IDM signal so first check all the the wiring between the cam sensor and DIS module then from the DIS module to the comp.
Hope I didnt loose you.
Let me know what you find.

Back