Power steering fitting problem?

kuhnga

I changed the little motor on the Power stearing pump out and the the Hydralic line leaks. I got the teflon seal from Ford and tried again and it still leaks. I have tighten this 4 times and can not get it to quit. What am I missing? This is the high pressure hose that goes into the electric motor, I changed the motor with a used one from a 91 are they the same.
Thanks Gary

Is it leaking after the actuator, or before the actuator?

That actuator is screwed into the pump housing. I'd make sure it hasn't started backing out.

It is the Hyd line that is leaking. I changed the Acutator out with one from another car. I can not get the power steering line to seal back up. I got a teflon o ring from Ford but they were not sure what one was needed. I have attempted to seal it 4 times and it leaks. It is getting by the threads of the fitting.

I guess I just wanted to clarify at what point it was leaking.

Pump - joint1 - actuator - joint2 - hose

I'm assuming you have it at Joint2.

Did you check the valve you removed? Did it have an o-ring in there? I don't recall a teflon piece in that particular joint when I pulled it apart. Though I know the lower coupling at the rack had a teflon type washer. It wasn't really a 0-ring , more like a flat washer.

If you look at the picture below, you might notice that while there is a o-ring noted on the steering rack connections, and on the EVO valve to p/s pump connection, it doesn't appear that they have one for the high pressure line connection to the EVO valve. If you're not sure there was one before, I'd try it without an o-ring and see if it stops leaking.

power%20steering.jpg

It is joint 2 actuator to hose I think from talking to Ford today the teflon ring goes above the threads on the nut. I tried before and after. When it is on after the threads I can see the teflon, it would appear I can not tighten it enough? Is there a difference in a 91 and 94 assembly? Ford said they are the same. Thanks

Gary I know on some fords the actuator may be the same while the mounting nut is different if you now what Im saying..They seat differently...The hose ends on the two cars can be different causing the leak..Transfer over the nut looking thing from old pump to new and it should be fine...Do you understand what Im talking about??

It is fixed, turns out that Damon is correct. The fitting did not match the actuator. I had 4 used actuators that were all the same, but the wrong one(at least the one that does not fit). Ford told me they are all the same. well I put the original actuator on and it seals fine. Thanks for the help

Back