Exhaust...Advice please

needasuperbird

ok ok, i know there are a million threads on exhaust, and i've looked at A LOT of them. I've got an 89 SC i wanna free the thing up a bit to make my headgaskets last longer(and hear that super charger:)) Some say just replace the mufflers and some say do the whole thing, some say start at the engine, some say start farther back... I wanna know the true way to go about things...i want it done right and i dont' want it to sound awful. I don't want the "bees in the can" sound...at idle or wide open. Please help, thanks

If ur on a budget then I would think the best approach would
be--start with1. resonator replacement
2.muffler replacement
3.high flow or no cats
4.larger diameter pipes
5.porting the manifolds or headers
6.change to a new style gas tank-and go straight thru w\pipes

g/l

?

"If ur on a budget then I would think the best approach would
be--start with1. resonator replacement
2.muffler replacement
3.high flow or no cats
4.larger diameter pipes
5.porting the manifolds or headers
6.change to a new style gas tank-and go straight thru w\pipes"

What's the key here....do high flow or no cats make it unbearably loud? and how hard is it to port the manifolds or headers?( taking them out...i mean you have to have someone else port them correct?) And what's everyone going to for size of pipe..2.5? Also how long should this take, and how expensive will it be?

The most restrictive parts of the OE exhuast setup are as follows:

1. Resonator
2. Cats
3. Mufflers

You first objective to freeing up the exhuast flow would be to replace/remove the resonator. It is the worst piece on the car. You'll see why when you remove it. The rest is really up to you. If you are going piece by piece, that is a place to start. Good luck.

Thomas

PS. Exhuast does nothing to increase blower whine.

I see your in IA, sweet. Not Ames is it.

Cats, it will be a little louder but not much. For me this was from stock cats to no cats. Might not notice anything going to high flows.

Porting. It would take quite a while to take the manifolds off the heads. Then porting on top of that. tbird88 does a good job on them. And you can order them and then switch them out. I just bought his catless downtubes and ported the outlet with the pipes off. 1/2hr I suspose grinding with a die grinder. Dremels f-ing suck. It would have takening 5hrs with a dremel.

Pipe size. 2.25 to 2.5. If you run a single mid section go 3".

bids site http://www.datarecall.net/~tbird88/index/parts/4sale1.htm

For a full exhaust minus headers your looking at 500+ easy. But you can do it in parts.

My ideal exhaust. Kooks longtubes, dual mandrel bent 2.5's to a dual in/out long magnaflow resonator to a couple long borla mufflers. Probably be around 1200 or better.

-Julian

Back