Calling all SC experts...help.

Tubeamp

Hey all,

Man I tell you, if it wasn't for the fact that I really love this car...

Just finnished with a new Tranny, Motor Mounts, Rear Main, TV Cable etc. Now the car has this really strange starting problem. When I try to start it, motor will turn fine...then sometimes during cranking the starter will sound like it's "loading up" or "binding" on something. When this happens, it will draw an insane amount of current (light dim, hard), then crank good for half a second then start this all over again. This surely makes it hard to start the car. But here is the really strange part...does not do it all the time.

Batt. is ok, grounds are great, everything is installed correctly, even the Starter itself...could this be the windings in the starter? But lilke I say...it doesn't happen all the time, maybe 50% of the time. Could a Cam Sensor be at fault here...have seen the Tac. move strangely a few times.

Man, if anyone could give me some input as to where I should be looking at first...I would greatly appriciate it!!

Thanks,
Rino

I know of a guy who just went through that. The jumping tach indicates crank sensor trouble. But the loading of the electrical system was new. Unfortuneately for him it turned out to be his harmonic balancer was broken.

Take the belts off and see if the balancer wiggles.

Hey Andy

Thanks for replying Andy. So your friend just went through this eh...he had the "hard crank" problem as well? To check the balancer, how much wiggle should there be?

And the tac. jumping is very rare...should I change it just to make sure...preventative maint. type of thing.

Rino

The other thing that can cause that is a plug firing out of time. If it fires too far before TDC when cranking it will basically kick back. The starter is trying to overcome a cylinder trying to run backwards and that's tough to do.

this sounds like cam sensor....bad cam sensor and the car will act like it goes to start and then seems to be turning backwards....

remember....bad crank sensor when you see the yellow upshift light come on at cranking.....
bad crank sensor is usually when you let it sit over nite it will start...but then when it's hot it won't or be intermittent.....

Doing the starter is real easy and low cost.....if it's not cam sensor then go there....

Back