New to the board and Have a Super Coupe question

MudderGZ

I am considering swaping a super coupe motor in to my 87 Cougar that has a NA 3.8 I need to know if you can tell me what the differnce between the 2 set ups are.

What would need to be changed over besides the motor? Do I need to swap the harness and computer or can I just swap the computer or is it a plug and play thing?

I got a freind who has a Super Coupe that is totaled beyond repair and I was going to pick up the motor and trans from him. I just need to know what do I need to take along with it to make it all work for me.

Let me know

David:D

sure you could.

It would take alot of work. More than you probably want to do. The cost alone is enough to turn a person off. Make sure that motor is good . Some guy have been know to wreck there car cause the engine is bad . This way they can get the down payment for a new car.

Why would you want to . The sc motor is only going to bring 300hp at the most if your lucky . Totaly modded out. If you want the kind of performance that is coming off the assembly line today. You need more cubic inches . If you can't raise the HP more than 100 it isn't worth it.

If you are serious about lots of HP go with a stroked 302 or a 350. You will be much happier.

Don't know never have tried to do the swap before. My experience is that the NA 3.8 is more reliable for everyday driving.

MudderGZ said:
I am considering swaping a super coupe motor in to my 87 Cougar that has a NA 3.8 I need to know if you can tell me what the differnce between the 2 set ups are.

What would need to be changed over besides the motor? Do I need to swap the harness and computer or can I just swap the computer or is it a plug and play thing?

I got a freind who has a Super Coupe that is totaled beyond repair and I was going to pick up the motor and trans from him. I just need to know what do I need to take along with it to make it all work for me.

Let me know

David:D

Everything on a NA 3.8 T-Bird/Cougar is weak, and should be changed. Personally, if it were me, I would buy a REAL DEAL SC/XR7, and take his totalled SC for spare parts - they come in handy, and save you a lot of money. Furthermore, you'll have a lot of headaches trying to swap everything over.. Then again, that's just me, with my .02.

Well I figured one 3.8 is like the next and it should bolt in was just a matter of the computer hook ups and the computer in the car. It was just a thought I can get most anything I need from the car for around 150 bucks.

David

You can't just swap the computer, the electrical harness of an '87 will be missing quite a lot of wiring needed for the SC engine, DIS circuitry for one thing.

It can be done, Fords early test mules were '87/'88 Fox birds with the SC engines in them. It will be complicated, and take some time. The best way would be to get the whole car to have by your side to get last minute parts from, and also to look at if you get confused on where something should go. You want the engine, but you should also get the trans to hold the torque of the SC engine, also most of the electrical harnesses, vacuum lines need ot be sorted. I would get the wiring diagrams for both cars if I were considering this.

Also you need to consider the fuel system, a stock 3.8L N/A fuel pump won't feed an SC motor very well, especially if it is old.

Then again, if you just buy an SC as suggested, you get all the other benifits the MN12 chassis has over the Fox chassis......

Ok that is a good responce that really answers my question. Here is the deal, I got 50 bucks in to the car I bought. I can get most of the parts for under 150 to 200 bucks. so I have less then 300 in the whole thing + my time to do the swap. Or try and find a SC that will run me at least a grand I am sure.

What I am trying to do here is My wife use to have a 97 Cougar and she loved the car but she swares up and down it had a turbo in it. I dont recall any of them comeing with a 2.3 turbo. I dont know about the Xr7 if thats what mabe she had. I thought the sc 3.8 would bolt in with little to no problem then I would just have to sort though the wireing and what not.

Geting the whole car sounds like a idea mabe I can talk to him and see what he says.

David

From the factory the XR7 only had a turbo for a couple years, '85 and '86 I think. Then it had the SC 3.8L motor in '89 and '90, (except maybe for Mexico...)

If yo go forward with this, what you basically will want to do is pull the SC's electrical system, and try to fit everything engine related into the '87. Hopefully it will be fairly straightforward seperating the Engine wiring from the othe vehicle wiring (lights, horns, etc) so you retain the electrical system of the '87 except for what is engine related - that gets dissected out, then replaced with ALL of the SC engine wiring, from the computer through the sensors.

The tricky part will be areas that cross over between engine and chassis electrical; fuel systems, charging, cruise control etc.

As far as physically fitting you have to remember that the exhaust and plumbing was designed for a different chassis than yours. This might be good, maybe you can use the MAC Mustang 3.8L headers. Or it might be bad, there might not be space to mount the SC radiator and intercooler.

You need ot take a very close look at this SC and the Cougar, and try to "see" what it would take to make the Cougars engine compartment resemble the SC's as far as layout.

Ya well the main part I did over look is the differnt body styles. I might be able to keep her happy if I can just get this car to run right, I got a check engine light on right now and no power . I am going to replace some sensors tonight and see where it goes.

I like the idea of the sc motor but it seems to be somewhat complex. I dont think its anything I cant get to work. As Long as I can retain funtion of the 87 cougars items and swap computers I dont think it be bad its just if I lose things from the swap like I got a digital dash in there too.

Hmmm you guys are very informative over this and gave me alot to think aobut when considering this swap.

David

I would stay away from the SC motor.

I had a guy who tried to sell me a wrecked car once. Told me the motor was still good . Wrong after 50'000 miles the rings were worn the valves were not sealing. You couldn't even do a burnout out from a stop. Power was down After I did a compression test I begun to understand why power was down. People drive these cars hard espically the 5-speed . It is likley you will end up with a good motor that needs a rebuild. IF these motors are so great why don't FORD make them any more. I have owned a couple SC and they are nothing but a bummer. For one thing they cost more to fix than they are worth. This is why there are plenty in the junk yard. Notice there are plenty of parts available on this site because the motors don't last. They will still run after 100'000 but the power and tork will be gone.

I remember when when the SUPER COUPE first came out back in 89. I test drove one from Benevetti chevrolet. WOW what a treat . Back in the day they were the rage . By todays standerds the are weak that is why they are no longer made.

not to be harsh or anything but if you dislike so much the 3.8 why do you keep coming here? if you have a 4.6 bird and youre happy with it good for you but let the people that want to produce power from a 3.8 be happy too

FYI: ford still produces the 3.8L V6 stang

turbospeed said:
not to be harsh or anything but if you dislike so much the 3.8 why do you keep coming here? if you have a 4.6 bird and youre happy with it good for you but let the people that want to produce power from a 3.8 be happy too

FYI: ford still produces the 3.8L V6 stang

I think he's referring to the 3.8L SC engine, not the N/A 3.8L engine. Anyway, I think I'm gonna "C" my way out of this arguement. :D

*unsubscribed*

It has been my observations with the Supercoupe and any other vehicle I have ever experienced that the condition of the vehicle in terms of performance, reliability, and all other factors is due almost entirely to the level of maintainance exerted by the owner.

A readily available example is the newer style Jeep TJ. Many people have had problems with these vehicles in many ways. Clutches at 40k, headgaskets at 30k, transmissions, engines, many things, and many repeats. I have now owned this same vehicle for over 160k. It has not seen an easy life by any means, but it has seen scrupulous maintainance. Thus I have had only to replace the front brake pads & water pump over its lifetime.

I have seen many other instances with freinds cars in similar situations. I have also had two SCs. My current actually has more power at over twice the mileage as my first.. & both were in fair, stock, condition.

These are my opinions derived from my many observations of overall vehicle performance and how it is greatly impacted by the owners of the cars. After seeing so many examples, as far as I'm concerned just about any vehicle can be a good one if things are done right.

Seems I started something here, The conditon of the block I would get had no bearing on if I do the swap or not. I would rebuild it regadless if I thought I could make it work. It just looked easyer to do then a 2.3 turbo or a 302

David

The thing that cost 25,000 brand new and isn't even worth 10% today.

Hey Man it is your life do what ever you want.

I got a 89. Super Coupe It is not for sale. I have decided to keep cause the new car prices are way outta my range. If I could afford a new car. I would buy ONE. New car is not in my vocab.

IT is on its second motor has high mileage interior is worn out. ITs no show piece that is for sure. I drove it all over HELL and still do It is my Fav car of all time. I will never sell it will be wrecked before it gets sold. I am all about Tbirds especially my 89 supercoupe. Don't let any tell you it don't make a good dailey driver. Cause it does it is certainly no race car. They
are much harder to work on cause everything is packed in there.

My point is you can get bigger faster motors that are cheaper cause there are more parts available. Also far easier to work on .
I have also had a stroked 302 .it would smoke a super coupe easy not even a contest.

Re: The thing that cost 25,000 brand new and isn't even worth 10% today.

stocker 89 said:
Hey Man it is your life do what ever you want.

I got a 89. Super Coupe It is not for sale. I have decided to keep cause the new car prices are way outta my range. If I could afford a new car. I would buy ONE. New car is not in my vocab.

IT is on its second motor has high mileage interior is worn out. ITs no show piece that is for sure. I drove it all over HELL and still do It is my Fav car of all time. I will never sell it will be wrecked before it gets sold. I am all about Tbirds especially my 89 supercoupe. Don't let any tell you it don't make a good dailey driver. Cause it does it is certainly no race car. They
are much harder to work on cause everything is packed in there.

My point is you can get bigger faster motors that are cheaper cause there are more parts available. Also far easier to work on .
I have also had a stroked 302 .it would smoke a super coupe easy not even a contest.

Well the point here was not speed and nor I am offended by anyones comments. Just seems a whole war got started here.

Here is the low down on what I planed and why. My wife use to have a car before we met and she said it was a turbo cougar. I wanted to put together something for her simular. I dont think for what I can get parts for I am going to be able to do a 302 cheaper. Even if I have to rebuild the motor I have less then 500 bucks in the project. Again a 3.8 swap with another 3.8 seemed easer then a 302 but I could be worng.

The whole point of the post was to find out what needed to be changed and to see if it was worth it for me to do it. I have a few problems with the current 3.8 that is in there and I think I got a bad tps but unsure yet.

The car has no power and I replaced the ECT allready. It will move but no where fast.

If I wanted to make HP I wouldnt do it in a Cougar, I would be pulling aside one of my Merkurs to work on wich is more my prefrance. This is just going to be a daily driver for my wife.

Thanks for all of you who responded with the info :cool:

David

Well Dave I guess I just don't understand.

If I Want to be as cool as a t-bird. I should Have a SUPER COUPE.

Now in your case. Yeah That 3.8 NA sucks it needs to be GONE.

Second IT s A couger So you Want it to be like or look like an XR7. Cause they are the biggest and baddest of the CATS the sc xr7 super couger is not where it is at. YOU WANT THE STROKED 302 fer sure trust me on this one man . IT is the way to go . Anything less than a 302 in a couger is a insult. Good Luck.

Not to throw a wrench into things but your biggest problem will be the computer controlled trans. If the engine isnt out of a 94-95 no computer will control the trans as all pre 94 had the AOD. If it were me I would look for the car you want with the right motor.
Just my .02 Mark J.

scbird1 said:
Not to throw a wrench into things but your biggest problem will be the computer controlled trans. If the engine isnt out of a 94-95 no computer will control the trans as all pre 94 had the AOD. If it were me I would look for the car you want with the right motor.
Just my .02 Mark J.

Thats why you take the trans and motor out of the donor car at the same time and use the sc computer

It would work just desideing if its worth the work

Re: not to high jack your thread...

metalicagod said:
but your name sounds familiar muddergz, did you use to play monster truck madness 2?

What People still rememeber me? hehehehe Ya I had the whole truck makeing thing going too back then. I Use to be captain of the UMK team at one point too.

Been long since gone of the good old days.

David

Back