Antilock and Brake! light on at same time?

91BLOWNSC

Hey guys, thats my problem. It seems after going to a trip up and down woodward avenue for the cruise that after much braking in the stop and go traffic, both of my lights were lit up. What does this tell me about my brakes? And how would I go about fixing the problem. After I shut the car off it reset itself ovisouly because the lights went off. But after taking her back out again, they came back on. It only seems to show up after I have been doin much braking. Because right now there off; but i don't stop much. Can anyone lend a hand?

Dissconnect the lights.

Any Codes. could be a number of things . Have you made any repairs lately. What kinds of systems are they are they stock.

Well it could be many things. When both lights come on like that it means that the system pressure is low, or the resivor is low. Have you done any matinence to the abs system? The accumulator is normaly the first to go. You should get a new one if your not sure. The lights will come on every time you hit the brakes with a bad accumulator. You will over work your pump motor with a bad one. The brown pump motor relay should be replaced while your at it. Your pressure switch could be failing as well. I sugest you do some upkeep on the abs system A.S.A.P. Believe me ive been through it the hard way. Brakes are not something you want to go out at any random moment. like speeding on the highway, school zones, you get the picture. Have someone sit in the car with the hood open when the car has been sitting for a few hours. Listen around the master cylinder as someone turns the key to the foward position, but not start it. You should hear some weird girgle noises down low for a few seconds. After it stops, have your assistant push on the brake a few times slowly. The pump should come on after a few pumps. Please dont put those warning signs off. I did, I thought ah what ever I still have brakes, one day, bam no more brakes. Bad mistake

No sure if it's the same on the Thunderbirds or not, but on my Dakota when the brake and ABS lights are on at sime time, it means one of the speed sensors is not working properly. You might also want to check your ABS sensors. When i did the brakes on my car recently, I noticed that the ABS sensors on the front were caked with dirt and grime. Cleaned them off with brake cleaner for ease of mind. Also, my brake light was on when I bought the car, but it desperatly needed front brakes re-done. After putting new brakes on the front and re-filling the resevior the light went off.

I'm with boosted89SC

Same thing happened to me. I was unsure of the problum for a while, then had to wait for the money for the accumulator, meanwhile driving "freeze" no brakes. VERY luckily though I was a mile from where I park my car doing 20 mph. BUT I was heading for an hour long jouney down the Interstate.
I would check the reservoir then turn the key as stated and listen for the pump. Also listen for pumping after the car is off. If you havent replaced the accumulator, it's probubly that time. The "brown pump relay" is also usually tied to this problum. I would start with a new relay, and if problums persist, do a search for ABS light, and you'll find lots of answers, or post your findings here again.
I had Lance Morgan help me through this problum with ease.
Just my 2 cents, good luck, and safe driving
Tom

This is a section from the Teves Mark II Debugging Document:

There are two failure modes that cause the ABS light and the BRAKE light to come on. The first type are transient errors and the second are permanent errors that will only reset after a power cycle. The transient errors are typically pressure related and are caused by:

· Pressure drop below 140 bar ( ABS light)
· Pressure drop below 110 bar (ABS and/or BRAKE light).
· Overheating (pump runs continuously, ABS and/or BRAKE light).
· Low brake fluid level

The permanent errors are usually caused by one of the following:

· Wheel speed sensor DC failure (shorts, opens)
· Wheel speed sensor AC failure (inconsistent rotational data)
· Sensor amplitude inconsistencies
· Continuity failures in the master cylinder solenoids
· Power supply failures in the controller

Pressure Failures

The pressure system can have the following failures:
· Accumulator failure
· Burnt out pump
· Leaking pump
· Pump power supply failure
· Incorrectly calibrated pressure switch

Pressure drop failures will usually cause the ABS light to come on when you press the brake pedal. Accumulator failure is the most common failure mode. The accumulator is divided into two sections separated by an elastic diaphragm. One section is preloaded with gas at a pressure of 80 bar, the other at the pressure of the brake fluid. This diaphragm fails with age quite regularly. This is usually manifested by the following behaviour:

The pump runs every time you press the pedal, or the pump runs for a few moments when you start the car from cold. A good accumulator will hold pressure for a fairly long period of time.

Accumulators tend to fail over a period of time so the performance tends to drop of gradually. A good system should allow you to press the pedal 5-8 times before the pump runs. If the pump runs every time you hit the pedal and your pump is not leaking, replace the accumulator. Accumulator failure will result in a high duty cycle for the pump and may cause premature failure of this expensive unit. This is also a dangerous condition: if the pump fails during driving, there will be no pressure storage in the system and you will be left with an instantly hard pedal rather than the 5-8 press capacity of the accumulator. Accumulators are thankfully quite cheap to replace.

If the brake light blinks when you start the car after a night's rest, the pump runs and then the brake light goes out, you have accumulator failure.

Last edited:
hmm..

Intresting. Its most likely my accumulator then because the pump comes on almost everytime I hit the brake pedal, and during cold starts. My next question guys is where do I purchase this accumulator from? And how much do they generally run? Would I go to my local autozone to get one? Thanks.

Also, something Ive noticed. I have never had a "hard" pedal before, but when this happnes, usually i dont' have ABS anymore.

Last edited:
You were in the wrong catalogue, you need to check the ABS catalogue.
Any way the accumulator is not listed but they have them and you will need to call them to order.
There around $100

Wonder if they would be interested in buying my Tieves unit as a core? I'm ditching ABS and have no use for it.:confused:

Back