weird knocking noise

bg9219

I get a weird knocking noise when shift into reverse. When I start to go in reverse I can feel the knock somewhat in my shifter. Any ideas on what it could be, and how much im lookin at spending to fix it.

thanx

This may help...

Don't know if yours has the same problem but...my 92 used to make a noise like that when changing into 2nd gear (all the time). Drove me crazy, at the time the Trans. was working normal. Ended up being a heat shield...strange but true. Check yours out, if the Trans. is working ok that is.

Just a thought, you just never know about these cars...

Rino

check your strut rods bushing to frame and lower controll arm...if you have never replaced them then they are probably out...... thats if this only happens when you put it in reverse from park...... also check if your steering wheel wobbles a little bit when you press on the brakes if your driving (NOT PARKED) but driving

I'll add to what creeperxr7 stated. Chances are most if not all of your bushings are shot. However, if you have your foot on the brake, or the E-brake on for that matter, and shift your car into reverse and it still has the knocking sound and/or feel, then it is your differential bushings and rear mount. These go bad and when they do you will get a "knock" when the car shifts through the gears. It is most evident when shifting into reverse. Your strut rod bushings and lower ball joints will create a "drifting" and "wobbling" feeling when applying the brakes. However, wobbling when you press on the brakes may also be an indication that your rotors are warped. Does your car wobble according to the speed you are traveling? Meaning, when you are going faster, does it wobble faster and when you are much slower is it a slower wobble. If that's the case then you've got warped rotors.

And to clarify what creeperxr7 stated about the strut rod bushings. I've got brand new poly bushings on my '89. I have a very pronounce "knock" when shifting through my gears because my differential mount and bushings are shot. The front suspension will have nothing to do with a "knock" when the tranny shifts gears. It would on a front wheel drive car, but not ours.

I noticed the other day that when I rolled out of my driveway with the clutch in it had the knock, and also if i took turns with the clutch in it was the same type of knock.

Do you here the noise when the clutch engages or disengages the tranny? If so then it is your differential. If it just does it when-ever then you could be looking at other bushings. If you feel it through the shifter though, I'm putting money on the differential bushings and rear mount.

Back