Electronic locker

Douglas Walker

I'm lookin into an electronic locker for my rearend. Has anyone installed one or have any input about this kind of change.

Doug

does anyone think switchin to an Eaton electonic locker would be better benefit or just a stress reliever for the drivetrain.

Doug

For street/strip launching and general performance driving you should look for a limited slip differential, NOT a locker. I think Eaton probably has the best explanation of the difference between the two types on their web page here. BTW I have an Eaton Positraction diff in my SC, and it kicks @ss, it's a huge improvement over the Ford "Traction-loss" diff.

Eaton is in the process of making a electronic locker for the 8.8 rearends. Its the same design as the posi-trac u have already the only difference is its electronic. I see it as a good thing for in town driving, to lose some of the stress in cornering but at the same time be able to engage it when needed. The only reason I'm askin is because the price he gave me is less than a factory carrier at cost. So I thought I could save money and save wear and tear to the rearend. If not I'll go with the posi trac. It was just an idea?

Doug

Sounds gimiky to me. Not to mention you are adding another system to the car which has the potentail for causing problems.
Dont we have enough systems that cause problems and make diagnosing problems a pain in the %$#?
Why make the cake worse by adding another bad ingrediant?:rolleyes:

Are you talking about the Eaton ELocker? If so that is not anything like the Positraction. It's a locker for off roading, not a limited slip diff. If you're talking about something else other than the ELocker, I guess I just haven't heard about it before.

We have 28-spline axles, and we use circlips, not C-clips. This is an important difference because a some diffs designed for 28-spline axles will only work with C-clips (which is what solid axle cars have).

MIKE 38sc said:
Sounds gimiky to me. Not to mention you are adding another system to the car which has the potentail for causing problems.
Dont we have enough systems that cause problems and make diagnosing problems a pain in the %$#?
Why make the cake worse by adding another bad ingrediant?:rolleyes:

Exactly. I wouldn't experiment with anything new, unless I knew the car was going to be in 100% working order, for a long time prior - a rare sight for these cars. Anything can go, at any given time - A.K.A. VERY VOLATILE!

However, I'm not going to start flaming Douglas Walker for bringing this up. It's still something that's worth looking into. :)

Last edited:
Thanks and thats a good point. Ive only owned my car about 6mo. and I dont think theres much left to fix. Everything that could happen has. But I dont want to speak to soon for awhile I was on a 6 day run then something would break. That was a expensive cycle of bad luck. I figured it was an eaton product and they usually dont make anything that u would consider junk. So Ill let someone else experiment.

Thanks
Doug

Are you talking about the Eaton ELocker? If so that is not anything like the Positraction. It's a locker for off roading, not a limited slip diff. If you're talking about something else other than the ELocker, I guess I just haven't heard about it before.

This is something new that eaton is coming out with. The guy that brought it to my attention is in the process of making them. I'll try to get more info so if someone would like to try, they can see what it consists of.

Doug

Back