adjustable fuel reg. ?

Yes...your car will use the same one as a Mustang 5.0 of the same year. Most will bolt on without any mods, but because of it's larger diameter the Aeromotive unit requires a little clearance grinding on the fuel rail to fit correctly.

Holley has a rep for sticking or leaking, Kirban has a pretty good rep, and Aeromotive units have also leaked on some cars. I no longer trust adjustables and now use a stock regulator.

David

Adjustable FPR are a waste of money and not productive with a Ford EEC system. Just put a stocker on, it has all the fuel pressure you need. The Ford EEC system is not like Honda's system, you will not get any benifit by cranking up fuel pressures.

Mike,

That's not entirely true..when I installed a set of Lucas 38# injectors and a 73 mm C&L with the correct sample tube, the car would bogg on hard acceleration. I installed an adjustable regulator and raised the pressure a few pounds to 43.5, and the car ran great. It went from bogging to burning the tires. Even with the EEC's adaptive tuning abilities, it ran great for more than a year. Then it suddenly stuck at 50 psi one day and could have burnt my new engine up if we didn't catch it on the dyno.

I agree that making adjustments with an EEC tuner or a custom chip is the better way to go, but sometimes a little extra fuel pressure is helpful for fine tuning.

If your adding the regulator instead of getting larger injectors...that's another thing entirely, don't do it. You risk a top end lean out, because most fuel pumps can't maintain flow at higher than stock pressures.

David

Last edited:
I agree with your claim Dave, But you are doing some things that required it. I didnt get from his post that he was using Lucas injectors.
Go to the link in the post I made titled:
"Learn about EEC-IV and fuel injection"
That site is run by an employee of RJM Injection Technologies and they help Ford in the designe of EEC components. He's very up on the system. It dispells alot of myths about it.
Have a look at it and if you think its a pretty good site for info that could help people understand the system better, contact George and see if we can get the post stickyed.
I think it would help alot of guy's since theres always a bunch of posts about the subject and lack of info seems to be the root problem.;)

thanks for the input guys. i ordered the adjustable reg. from mn12performance, i think it was a kirban. i already have a 255lph fuel pump so i don't think that will be a problem. i'm going to upgrade to bigger injectors and a 73mm or bigger mass air later. is it possible to run bigger than stock injectors with a stock mass air if you adjust fuel pressure? or is the injector pulse width more important? thanks!

thats where i got mine from. make sure you get a guage so you know what you set it all. I am happy wiht mine. I've used it a lot to tune it in at the track. I'd put it on the dyno so you get know exactlyu what the mixture is. I got mine to a near perfect ratio and i like it. Its also handy when i run my nitrous set-up.

is it possible to run bigger than stock injectors with a stock mass air if you adjust fuel pressure?

No

Buy a properly calibrated MAF or have a custom chip burned. Larger injectors at stock pressure with a stock MAF will provide too much fuel. Increasing the fuel pressure will make it even worse.

David

Back