PDA

View Full Version : Want to gut Audio Deck in Trunk?!?!?

93Poopcoupe
08-20-2003, 02:31 PM
I keep on blowing my little 6" "sub" so I bought a 10" Alpine Type R sub. A box came with the sub and in order to fit it in there I would need to take out the JBL audio system deck that hangs down in the trunk.

All of the little amps and other junk that is in that deck cant be just for the 6" sub can it? Because if it is then I will just rip it out, but I would imagine that the deck houses other amps for the other speakers that are in the car. Obvioulsy I coulud rip the "sub" box out of my trunk, but how has anyone with upgrade sound system done this? I will not be updating my car speakers I just am adding some bass in the trunk.

thanks
ryan

MIKE 38sc
08-20-2003, 03:41 PM
1 of those box's is the ABS comp. Only 1 of them is the stereo amp.

garmo
08-20-2003, 03:43 PM
Yes, rip the sub box out, tray out, move ARC computer to left side fender well and the other amp and computer to right side fender well. Don't even need a box for the woofer, mount it right on the rear deck with a peice of mdf (medium density fiberboard, Home Depot or Lowes) and let her rip. It will sound good!!! Won't rock you out of the car but it is definately an improvement......The stock amp will run it fine.

HSKR
08-20-2003, 04:12 PM
What??? Unless it's a free air sub, it will sound like shyt not in a box, and the factory amp won't push enough watts to the sub to make it sound goo either. If your going to do it, get a good amp for the sub, and as far as the sub and box, a 10" sub should fit under the tray in a box no problems. I have 2-12's in the truck of my car and the box they are in slid right under the tray. I removed the tray though since I got rid of factory amp and sub, and I just put the ARC computer over on passenger side fender. I mounted the amp for my subs on top of the box and it required removal of the tray. To remove the tray, you need to take the deck cover inside the car out to get at a couple bolts holding it on. And there are four 1/2" bolts holding the sub in. Pretty much one on each corner. The back ones aren't easy to get to though.