Intermittant AC operation

RustyUL

I just bought my SC two days ago, and already I'm starting to find problems!

My AC (climate control) on occasion will stop operating. The blower will quit completely, although the air that manages to escape the vents is still cold. It ranges from being off a couple seconds, to several minutes.

Anybody have any idea what to check?

When you get on the gas a little the ac will cut in and out to free up the accesory. Its kind of like the ac kill switch for when those pesky mustangs are around. It redirects the power to the rest of the car so it will run more as if you didnt have the ac on at all. Mine would do it also but i dont know about a few minutes like you stated unless i was under boost for a while. I say yank the whole damn ac out, that way you have enough room to yank all the pass. side plugs from the top.:) Just my suggestion.

He's talking about the blower motor kick off and on not the AC compressor. Check your wire connections on the blower motor, could also be the blower motor on its way out. Ive had several blower motors do that and one day it will stop completely.

Wantess: Do you still have your compressor?

Sorry, i got ya. Mike fill me in on this im not up on ac terms. The compressor, the part the acces. belt turns? Yes mine is still on, need $$ for the delete pully

Yes thats the compressor. Did the AC work before you ditched it?
Will the center part of the pulley wheel turn?

I dont think i know what you mean. Yes the ac worked before i yanked it but not well. It would not blow cold, had a friend of mine who does refrigeration check it and he said it was low but he did not have the right type of fryon for it. As far as the pulley turning in the middle im not sure?? I just started the car and turned the ac on, granted the black canister(collector?) from the fire wall isnt there anymore and i know that had a wire ***. connected to it but the wires are still attached to the compressor. When i turned the ac on i didnt see anything else spinning on the compressor so i really dont know what you mean. On another note, i am reading about the eec on that link you posted. Did you read about pulling the codes using the STI plug near the pass. side firewall? It says to connect it to the neg battery terminal and then ground it? Isnt it grounded when you connect it to the terminal. Anyway that is a kewl site, i need to take a EEC-IV 101 class. Thanks Mike.

Its a good idea to ground the test that way incase you have a bad or weak ground that youre unaware of.
Why dont you Email George Davenport and see if he will make that post a sticky so everyone will see it. If people go to that site and learn about the system they will know how to troubleshoot the system and quite throwing parts on there cars and not fixing it. They would also save time and money by doing it right.
They also dispell any myths about how to tune the system for more performance which alot of guys dont understand.
Send George an Email and see if he will sticky it.

As far as the compressor: Yours is a R-12 compressor so it would be of no use to me. Thanks anyway.

eec info

I agree Mike, we should not let this one slip away. George has mail. And now im going to give the STI code pulling method a go. I have been throwing a code on longer rides for the past few weeks and i dont have the cash for a reader. I will post back and let ya know how it went. RustyUL sorry for stepping on your thread dude!! Keep reading what these guys post they know there sc's/xr's.

And now...back to the problem

I have checked the cable connections to the blower motor, and the cable that comes to the control unit attached to the blower motor. All connections were tight and corrosion free, except for the blower motor connection. It had no corrosion, but it wasn't extremely tight. I have re-connected everything, but I put dielectric grease on all the connections before assembly. I really don't think this is going to fix it though.

It would also seem that the climate control display is way off. If you set it on 75, most of the time is blows really cold air, and the fan still blows pretty stoutly. It doesn't slow down until you set it way high...like 85 or something. Sounds to me like the interior temperature sensor is flaky. Anybody else have any ideas?

Back