SC fill plug

Wantess

Went to check my fluid today and i cant get the plug out. I didnt run the car all day so i dont think there is pressure in there, if that would cause it anyhow. Put a 3/16 allen in there, seemed to fit well and tried like hell but it wont budge. Now i have a half twisted allen and a plug that is starting to round off because of all the twisting. The allen will still fit in there but i am afraid of trying anymore and rounding it completly. I have a spare blower and it wasnt hard to get that one off at all. Any suggestions? If i have to force it out i guess i have the spare but then i am out one. Where can i get a replacement at? Thanks guys.

My fill plug is a torx bit and has an o-ring seal so you really don't need much torque to stop any leaks.

I guess the flunkies at Ford just hammered these things down.

Aaron

Torx!

Wait torx? I just went and checked my spare SC and it is def a allen. I dont know what year my spare is but my ride is a 92. Unless my 92 is a torx and i just assumed it was an allen and maybe that is the reason why it is getting FUBAR. Darn now i am confused. Anybody else, torx or allen?

I just pulled mine for the first time this weekend. Nothing fit until I pulled the torx bits out, maybe mine was changed before I owned the car (it's an 89).

Aaron

Every factory and Ford replacement plug I have seen have been a 3/16" allen plug. They are still available from from Ford (Part # XL3Z-6A828-AA). Some of our vendors like Super Coupe Performance or Blue Tongue Motorsports may also sell them. I think they were like $7 or so.

I have a T handle allen for this and also an allen bit on a 3/8" drive socket for the really tough ones. Some have had to slot the head of the plug with a Dremel to get it out with a screwdriver or chisel.

Got a bigger Craftsman t-handle allen and a mallet and tapped it in, twisted hard and it came out. I guess it is full because started seeping out and i got hit by the most wonderfull smell on earth! Thanks for the help

Didn't get to check it last night but I definately did try allen wrenches. Maybe mine was stripped and the torx bit fit just right.

With an oring seal you should need only a few inch-pounds of force to seal the plug, so don't get happy with it when putting it back in.

Aaron

I am going to save some of the old fluid for accidental spills on people I really don't like - that stuff is horrible.

Back