Lentech, Art Carr, TCI, AODominator ?????

Shockwave

Anybody on this board have a built AOD from any of the above? Of all the ones listed the AODominator has the parts I like, such as: mechanical diode, A+ OD servo, wide ratio gear set, and 2" OD band.

I'm thinking about spending $1500-$2000. What would be a good stall speed on a SC putting out around 225 rwHP and 340 rwTQ.

Thanks

I have a AOdominator I love my trans.I put in 2500rpm stall. I think if I had to do it over again I would go with the 1800rpm stall. Car is slow the respond on low end not real baded but it lost some of the grunt on non stall take off's. Nail it it is nasty. Nice trans tho.

I recently went with a Level Ten complete trans w/Billett converter. I think the stall speed will vary depending on your torque curve. A dyno will best tell you when the car is starting the torque power curve. .. I should be getting my car back tomorrow. The stall I am ending up with is 2600-2800.

Price for trans & install about $2500.

I'll let you know,
Anthony

tci

Although i have never had one of there aod's i have used alot of tci stuff over the years.Knew some of the guys there allways helpfull and know there stuff with good product.

I am running the following. Anybody can build a good tranny using good clutches etc, but the key is in the convertor, valve body, and converting the tranny over to non-lockup. The revised shift pattern in the Lentech VB gives you much more control over the transmission and I highly recommend it even if you buy the tranny and convertor somewhere else.

Lentech Automatics AOD Street Terminator Plus
Lentech Stage 2 input shaft rated to 1100 hp
Wide ratio gearset with 2 inch OD band
Lentech custom valve body with altered shift pattern and electric OD delete
Lentech 9.5 inch 2300 rpm torque convertor
Auxillary transmission oil cooler

Last edited:
The ideal stall for a converter is about 700 RPM BEFORE your torque peak RPM.
Example: Say engine stock has 315 ft. lbs. @ 2600 RPM minus 700 RPM = 1900 RPM stall speed.

Look at your dyno sheet and find out where your torque peak is then subtract 700 RPM from that.
You DO NOT want your converter stalling AFTER or ON your torque peak, doing so will create slugishness of oporation until you hit whatever stall you installed.
A converter that stalls at or after your torque peak RPM will cause the car to accelerate slower than one thats set up right. Not to mention you will consume much more gas and the tranny will run much hotter than it needs to.;)

TCI is a good outfit, Ive used alot of there GM stuff. 3 years ago when I started my project I want to use them for my tranny, But at that time they werent fooling with AOD's. I wouldnt have a problem using there stuff, They know what there doing!

Last edited:
Back