Gutting the ARC?

dklitzke

All,
My '95 SC/auto has just rolled over 92k, and it needs shocks pretty soon. I plan to go with Konis, plus the polyurthane bushings, and some other improvements (the MN-12 site IRS subframe welding for strength). Anyway, the Konis require that you disable the ARC system. From reading other threads, I have decided that this is a very good idea, because people are saying that the Illumina IIs don't last very long, and they are the only "quality" ARC compatible shock out there for our cars. Also people say that the Konis are very good quality, and the price difference is less than 100 bucks.

I am thinking of doing it this way: remove all of the ARC junk including computer, replace the covers on the shock towers that have the electrical wiring connectors with non-ARC covers, and remove any other ARC component that can just be disconnected or unbolted from the car. Then throw all the ARC junk in the shed. This will probably even shed a few pounds of weight. Then maybe later on, figure out another use for the ARC switch inside the car (passenger side ejector seat maybe, oops, no moonroof!). Since I won't be using ARC with the Konis, I want to do a clean complete and clean job of conversion to non-ARC. What do y''all think?

Don Klitzke
Prospect, TN

'95 SC/auto, 5% overdrive blower pulley, SCP exhaust, Kooks coated headers, Addco swaybar, Magnacores, KVR cross-drilled rotors and brake pads.

I'm still playing with the Idea of how to retain the ARC with the Koni shocks I want to install.

I was thinking either use the existing actuators to somehow drive something to change the Koni's between two specific settings. Or use the signals to the actuators to drive a cobbled up actuator of my own.

Just a thought.

ARC

You sure are talking about going to alot of trouble.Just unplug and remove the motors from the top of each shock.Put your new ones on and put the covers back on.Lastly,put your switch on firm so it doesn't blink at you.

What I did with my Bilsteins is just unplug and pull out all the actuators, then just pull out the computer in the rear tray. Absolutely no problems, the firm ride light never lights up. You can just leave the covers, theres no problem there unless you dont like it saying ARC on them.

-Travis

Back