'90 Alt in a '95

Nate93

Hi guys. I have a 1990 and a 1995 SC. My '95s alternator has gone bad and it's being sent off for rebuild accross the country. I was wondering if I could use the '90 alt in the '95 until it comes back? Same alternators bolt patterns etc.?

THanks,
Nate
nathanaelor@yahoo.com

I beleive so. When my '94 alternator died, I borrowed one from a '92 for a week or two while I fought with the parts stores trying to get a good replacement.

The 89 - 93 and 94 - 95 units are basically the same ... you will likely run into a difference with the length of the shaft where the pulley goes on. I know a few guys locally have used a later style alt. on an earlier car with a thick washer as a spacer to take up the difference in size ... not sure if you'll have trouble going the other way or not.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Nate93 said:
Hi guys. I have a 1990 and a 1995 SC. My '95s alternator has gone bad and it's being sent off for rebuild accross the country. I was wondering if I could use the '90 alt in the '95 until it comes back? Same alternators bolt patterns etc.?

THanks,
Nate
nathanaelor@yahoo.com

Hey Nate93, I've got about 2000 mi on my alternator out of my 35th that is installed in my 95, no problems so far.. They are the same as far as I can tell..

RJ

Back