My SC surges when I drive it hard.

89PPSC

It prompts a check engine light, and when I gas it in any gear, She surges... like she's holding back and then letting go, holding back, then letting go... I'm also only getting 10-11 psi... I recently put ported and polished heads on it w/ a 10% OD pulley. (I've got to have a vaccuum leak somewhere, or IC tubing seal failure.) But the surging has me baffled and I haven't checked the code yet. Thanks guys...

Belt

My first guess would be that the belt is slipping. With your ten percent pulley and that is why it feels like your car is surging, also you may have a vacuum leak. I would find the vac leak first and then find a shorter belt that won't slip.

Dave

Idles normally...

The car idles fine... and I have the proper belt to accomodate the Overdrive pulley... It's gotta be a vaccuum leak... But would an IC seal leak prompt a C.E. light?... Possible fuel? (Bad injector, maybe?) I also have 1:73 ratio roller rockers; but they are tightened to the specified torque level. Thanks...

Last edited:
no, a vacuum leak on your IC tubes won't throw a light, and also your car wouldn't idle very good, so i doubt that is the problem. to tell you the truth, my car has been doing the same thing for ahwile now, and i haven't found anyone able to fix it. the car blew it's head gaskets, and those were fixed but it didn't help anything. i'm going to try a new fuel regulator and hope that does it. other than that i'm out of ideas.
ben m

Before you go and waste any money on replacing anything that might not need to be replaced, check the codes, check the codes, check the codes! Any questions?

Back