Fuel SYstem Cleaning...

MN12 KID

What makes it different from a mechanic charging you $60-80 to do it, and you tossing in a bottle of injector cleaner? How is their process different from ours, and what do you need to do it their way?

Depends on the cleaning system he uses. There are a couple of different process's but if you want to know about the best way to clean them and why its better go to. www.rceng.com They have done all my injector work for over 6 years and nobody comes close to them. ;) For the money you cant beat them!:)

I've always heard that service is total BS. Gas companies put detergents in the gas anyway. A dealership tech in my 4 wheeling club says he's never recommended it and neither has anyone he works with. That's good enough for me. I think they always offer that to women who they think don't know any better. They always want to replace a new air filter too? I guess some places are better than others.

Hey JAFO

That is excatly what I thought when I saw those prices. This has to be a joke. You could buy a set of new injectors for that much. That is prob what they do just send you new ones. What do you guys reccomend for cleaning when the injector are off the car.? What is the best solvent to cut through the varnish build up?

Where can you buy new injectors for $28.00 each?
There no joke I assure you. But if thats what you want to beleive.:rolleyes:

i say u get some of that

NoS Octane Booster Street Formula

it cleans your injectors and other parts. It worked for my 86 Grand Prix LE. Everytime i would pour it in it would ride smooth. Bad ***. Or come of that CHEVRON FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER. works kool too. I have boxes of them.

Hey Darkstar_ ONE

I have my injectors off of the car. What else can be done can I use the cleaner you speak of and just soak them in it.? Would doing this help at all? Some one else told me to use LACQOUER thinner on them would this do any good? I have six I recently accquired and I am gonna do a OHM test tomorrow . Will I be able to tell If they are cloged by doing an OHM test?

Ohm test will just tell you the resistance of the innerds. I have heard of people sending them out to be professionaly cleaned and BALANCED so they all fire the same amount of fuel. Spendy though. $25 a piece??

Hey BobGPZ

Yeah that is what mike38SC also reccommended. I get kinda nervous sending out my parts. Im real obsessed about my bird and what is happing with and to it. I like to be there to learn from the experience. Is there anything a person can do before sending them out . I would hate to send them to be cleaned when they did not even need it. Is there a way to make them work so you could watch them spray. LIke hit them with a battery charger. How much juice does it take to actuate one.

I AM THINKING THAT KIND OF CASH COULD BUY ALOT OF PIZZA!

6x28.00=ALOT OF PIZZA.

The injectors have not been used since 1994.

I know bad idea . duh

Probably shouldn't get any spark near them you know gas is combustable . HUUUUM maybe I could hook up a switch to them.

Last edited:
Guys you cant clean the insides of a fuel injector like that. True you will get the outside looking real nice, But the insides is what counts and you cant clean the insides like that.
After going to the site I listed and reseaching what it is they do to your injectors and seeing the process they go through do you really think a can of gas or laquer thinner will do the same job?

I dont understand why anyone would be worried about sending there injectors to these guy's. There not a fly by night operation.
There not going to hurt your injectors. They will fix them better than new.
I dont even install new injectors until I send them to RC and have them adjusted and balanced first.

I dont care what shape your injectors are in when you get them back(and very quickly I might add) They will be better than new.

Yeah but I wanna watch the process.

Seeing is believing. Are there any chain auto shops that offer the service. 25.00 seems like way to much just to run solvent in them. I am thinking more reasonable like 5.00. Heck if I got that much to blow I mignt as well buy new ones . If I lift the rail and turn the motor over will they work so I can watch them. Hey mike38sc Will the motor run with out the intake on it I have heard some guys say it will . How about with the supercharger off . If this is a dumb question Sorry sometimes I get confused. Seem like to me there wouldn't be a very good vacume.

Man you didnt even check out there site did you?
They dont just run solvent through them. Thats what the dealer does. What RC does to your injectors is not even remotely anything like what the dealer does nor what you seem to think they do.
But whatever you want to beleive.......I'm done.

Gee Mike38sc you shouldn't take it so hard.

This is not a race car it is an everyday driver . Do I really need to have all the junk you talk about done. NO. Take this personal you say you are an engine builder. I really tend to wonder about that maybe you should give it a rest. I am guessing that by some of your posts that you don't even really have any experience with a super coupe. Sure you Know what you are talking about over all but you tend to leave out details. OH you don't have to say any thing you don't want to. I myself am not a mechanic an engine builder or none of that stuff. I am just a backyard joe who is working on a piece of junk that isn't even worth fixing. I don't know it all that is fer sure. Then again I never claimed too. Yes I did check out the site and I can't help but feel I am trying to be sold a service buy someone with a personal interest in the situation. Am I going to send them there. The answer is NO. They are working just fine. ALL 12 OF them. well one has a broken pintle but is still works. Sorry to have wasted your time. Hope to post with you in the future.

Last edited:
Lets all not throw snowballs at eachother here guys. Everyone entitled to their opinion and also their budget.
I'll post something from an old post I had to dig up:

First place man you cannot clean the injectors unless you have the neccesary equipment. True you can clean the outside of the injectors but you cant clean the inside and thats what counts. Second you could have one or more injectors flowing more fuel than the others causing the system to be out of balance.
The last set I sent off to be cleaned was 18% out of balance.
When they came back they were all within 3% of each other.

That IS a big difference for a race car, but don't you think that would make our normal every day cars run crappier? What is the point of having equal compression in the engine if the injectors are not flowing equally? Let alone dirty inside. I did not send out my injectors to be cleaned because I too am a cheap bastrd:D and on a very tight budget since practicaly everything else was replaced before figuring out problem. But I know I could have had a smoother running engine if I spent a little extra. However I now have the original 6 out of the car and if I ever have the car ripped apart I may have them sent out.

I will give a shameless plug to the NAPA brand $6 bottle carbureator/fuel injector cleaner. I could actualy feel my bike surge as that stuff was put in my tank on my bike. The throttle became probably 30 percent crisper. Clean is not equal though. I have four carbs on it, but man that stuff was potent! Shameless, I know..

Last edited:
Look I dont want to fight with anyone here and I dont have any ill feelings twards any of you. MN 12 kid asked a qeustion about the cleaning service offered by the dealerships. Jafco and stocker said they felt like the cleaning service that dealerships offered was not worth the money. Well I agree with that and all I did was mention a service that I have used for several years that I KNOW works and is NOTHING like the dealers service. Thats all.

Somehow stocker came to the conclusion that RC's service was nothing more than runing solvent through the injectors which is what the dealer does. RC's service is nothing like the dealers service. Thats the only point I was trying to make. If you need to get your injectors cleaned RC is the best place to get it done.
I have no vested interest in RC's buisness, thats ludicris.
Many of the statements stocker makes about RC's proccess proves that he didnt read the info on the site or misunderstood it.

I in no way was suggesting to have RC do any of the custom injector work they do. I was only talking about there basic cleaning,balancing,repairing and adjusting of spray pattern service that they do. Not anything custom. This service is NOT race car stuff, it is the most BASIC thing they do.

The qoute from me that Bob listed came from another thread.
Those injectors I was talking about was brand new injectors.
Thats how far out of whack a new set can be. RC's basic service took care of that problem as you can see. My friends Viper responded very nicely to the change. Mixtures in ALL the cylinders are much more evenly matched now and he no longer has a couple of cylinders runing leaner than the rest. One of them was sticking open just alittle causing a rich mixture in 1 cylinder at idle.
Again nothing that was done here involved any of there race car services.

Stocker I assure you I have an SC. Believe what you want. I dont understand how you came to that conclusion but whatever.
I'll respect your wish's and not respond to you anymore. But you didnt start this thread and I wasnt really responding to you until you came on here stating that what I was talking about was bull. So practice what youre preaching. OK?
Your own words was "Seeing is beleiveing" That right there says you do not know what gets done to the injectors and you have no idea how that affects performance of the engine so I have no idea what makes your opinion on it matter in any way.

I'll take my part of the blame for this misunderstanding between Stocker and I, But it takes 2 to dance and Stocker isnt inocent by any means.
I apologise for my part of this misunderstanding and I will not coment to Stocker anymore.
Thats all I have to say. Sorry.

Mike there is no misunderstanding.

Fact of the matter is i have asked you questions. And you have not given me as good of response as others who have asked the same question. That is all I am saying. I think you could have been more detailed. You are under the impression that everybody on here is going to automotive school and should know what you are talking. That is just not the way it is . most of the kids. Because this car is out of style. Most with alot of money have got the new style car cause it is more stylish.
In never said I did not want you to post where I am concerned. I said I hope to post with you in the future. You are an intellegent person and I can respect that. there have been many a time where I have learned a thing or two from you.

Perhaps you could have said this. Tank additive is not as good as the dealer service. If an injector goes bad. It is best to replace it if you can. You could also do a fuel pressure test. To see if have any injectors leaking. If you think one is cloged then you could Fuel injector drop test. You will have to by the proper tools or locate a friend who will let you use theirs. GOOD LUCK

Heymike38sc Then why do you say that you have not drove your SC in years.

BobGpZ it couldn't hurt any thing to take the injectors off and spray solvent into them The dealers must do this for a reason and I am sure they are using the correct solvent.

Look stocker I'm sorry you feel that I have slighted you with some of my answers to you. I didnt intend to and I'm sorry I made you feel that way.
As I said I dont want any problems between myself and anyone here. I'll take the points you raised as constructive critisim and try to work on it.
Prehaps I could have stated it just like you said. You made a good point because that is how I feel about it. Only thing is The original post didnt ask anything like that.

As for my SC Your right I havent driven my SC in a couple of years.
Being in the middle of a ground up rebuild of the entire car takes time and money. I havent had the time due to personal reasons I've already explained once and I'm not going to talk about it anymore. Just because I havent driven it in a couple years doesnt mean I never did drive it or dont know anything about it or dont have friends localy that have them that I help.

My only reason for trying to help the younger guys is I've worked on every system in this car and learned places where money can be saved and I've also learned places where saving money costs you more in the long run. I completely understand low budgets
Thats why I've tryed to help guys learn a little something about the EEC system on this car before throwing parts on that may not be the problem. I dont think you will find 1 post by me suggesting to anyone to just open there wallets and start throwing money at a problem. Infact I have stated more times than I can count to not approach a problem that way.

Man lets just bury this thing because its just one big misunderstanding. Why dont you and I just start all over again?
Do you think we can do that?

Yeah COOL!

Mike38sc try not to get discouraged. We all have had down time when it comes to the SC. It is the nature of the best. Trust ME it is worth it when you there. It never lasts a lifetime. Well except this nash rambler with an in line 6 I had once it is still rolling . But that is a different story. Hope you car gets back on the road. Good Luck

Back