balancer again..

BARTHWY59

replaced balancer 2000 miles ago with new ford unit ( i know i know ] car runs like crap and balancer is wobbling slightly.. used mustang bolt, tork specs etc.... is it possible something is wrong with crank snout? car is 1990 totaly stock and i drive like a grandma

Don't feel bad. I just replaced mine about 1,000 miles ago with stock Ford unti to avoid all that maching and extra $$$. It has wobbled a little since I put it on. Also I get that grandma wobbley engine sound from the belts squeeking insted of what it used to sound like. I think it is defective from factory, or somehow I bent it cussing at it to get it on. $245!!! Ouch!!!

Even the Ford unit must be an interference fit. If it wasn't hard to go on, then something wasn't right.

So if the ford unit is failing early, something must have been wrong.

it was tough to get on ...emory cloth on crank snout ..torked to specs..but never seemed to '' bottom out" .. any way to check crank signal or timing??? When i pull spout plug it dies immediatly. thanks

CHECK YOUR GAP ON YOUR CRANK SENSOR IF IT NOT SPACED CORRECTLY I BELIEVE IT WILL NOT GIVE AN ACCURATE READING

:( Emery cloth on the crankshaft? <sigh> Wrong way to do that. Don't reduce the diameter of a hard part to replace. I hope you only did it enough to clean up any rust (which there shouldn't have been any).

The bolt is not supposed to retain or attach the balancer to the shaft. The interference fit is what retains it. The bolt just helps keep it from walking off the end of the shaft. But that is just a fail safe situation. It shouldn't try to walk off the shaft unless it is starting to fail and creating vibrations.

The gap is important on the sensor, but usually it is either working, or it's not. Except for a wobbling crankshaft balancer, the sensor usually sits still.

Oooooooh....Man that hurt me to read! Mike is correct NEVER use emerycloth on the crank! Only MILD use of crocus cloth.

At this point I would realy love to write a letter to Ford and walk all over them for not recalling these crap parts. They seem to be going bad on all of our cars over and over...however I'm not that articulate with my wording!
If anything, they could own up to the bad design and cut the damn Ford price in half!
There is no way in hell I'm paying $500 for this part again, I'd sooner drive my cougar through the head office at Ford!

My God Merc where do you buy parts?
I can get Ford HB's with crank pulley all day long for $176.00.
I can by 2 and have money left over to buy a new DIS module.
The problems I'm seeing here with a few guys is not the quality of the parts but more the way the parts are installed.

If you have to give $500.00 for a ballancer and about $500.00 for a DIS module, you are buying from someone using Matrix priceing. That means they are charging you WAY above retail price.
I've learned Matrix priceing is very common nowadays.
There are better sources for parts than those rip off artists.
Shop around there are people out there not doing this.:(

OK let me correct myself...the ballancer alone costed roughly $310 Canadian new after taxes up here in Canada, NOT including the labour charge at the shop!
No place in my city (Winnipeg) stocks any parts for our cars, belive me I phoned/shopped around, and 9/10 times they try selling me the wrong part from a NON supercharged 3.8.

Merc thats pitiful. Let me talk to some people maybe I can work something out for you Canadian guys. I know theres a difference in the exchange rate but it aint that much.
Let me see what I can do.:)

There is no way in hell I'm paying $500 for this part again

Ouch dude! Mine was only $240 from FORD!

Yes my HB was a mutha to get on. VERY tight fit. I tried to put some hair around it, that eventualy helped.:D I had to buy a longer bolt with a crud load of washers, and just started wrenching it on. I first tried to push it on, but that didn't work so I tried with a two by four braced against the ..drawing a blank here (suspension part that stiffens the car), anyways I think I may have bent the pulley, then just gave up and waited for hardware store to open in the morning to get longer bolt.

Can I take new crud pulley off and put my old one on? Balance issues anybody?

Fellas NEVER pry on or against the HB. That WILL damage it.
There are tools to install a HB. They are the only safe way to install the HB.

Back