speedometer gone wacky

SC UL8R1990

mthe speedometer in my 90 SC 5spd is acting up. Just recently it got stuck at 46mph.....even when i slowed it wouldnt move. Finally i came to a complete stop and it went down. It seems its getting stuck and not moving smoothly.

maybe the speedo cable needs lubrication? i dunno?

There is no speedometer cable. It runs off your VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). You can check to see if that is working by trying your Cruise Control...if it works then your speedo is shot.

A common occurence with our speedos is that a small sticker falls into the gears inside the speedo head. You can remove the speedo itself from the instrument cluster and remove the sticker. It's worth looking into, it may save you some $$.

-Rod

Not sure how common the occurance is but I did have it happen as related on my 92. I should have related that experience as well. Thanks Rod for the back-up.

hey it only happend that one time....it has not happened again yet. :confused: And yes the good old cruise control works, hehe.

can that sitcker works its way back out of the speedo gears? i think thats what mine did....i woulda been a bit mad hehe

sorry for saying speedo cable, i know im dumb. Ive been in a honda for 2 years. :eek: Ill get the hang of it all, lol.

My speedometer is akward itself has a mind of its own. When i first bought the car it worked but i didn't drive it for a couple days after buying it and it stopped working. I got on the interstate cruising without it working turns out i was doing 85 when it decided to come on and it works just as long as i drive it everyday. Leave it sit for one day i gotta take it back up to 85 again to make it start functioning

My speedometer needle sticks sometimes also - but only on really hot days! I figured it had something to do with the heat/humidity -basically a minor nuisance - once I get the a/c going for awhile it unsticks...

Mine too occasionally gets stuck in the 43 mph zone until I hit 80-then it quickly unsticks, and will also stay at 43(or so) until I slow WAY down. One day when I have the time I guess i'll check in there for the sticker too...

NorthrnSCownr said:
Mine too occasionally gets stuck in the 43 mph zone until I hit 80-then it quickly unsticks, and will also stay at 43(or so) until I slow WAY down. One day when I have the time I guess i'll check in there for the sticker too...

That's exactly what mine did till one day it just wouldn't drop below 65. Mine only did it for a day before it wouldn't drop below 65, but worked fine above 65.

mine only does it if i leave it in the sun for extended periods of time......so now i try to park in the shade at work.:D

what a wierd thing.....i love my SC , lol

Back