PDA

View Full Version : Repeat problem, car won't run (long desc)

MTTod
08-22-2003, 09:03 PM
Well the thing did it to me again! Just when I think it's running good it pukes.

Driving down to the store today I got on it from a stop sign to beat traffic. Just after it shifted into second it started hesitating and I lost power. If I stepped down on the gas it would hesitate and miss. I stopped, checked things over and nothing obvious. Started right up and drove the rest of the way to the store, still hesitating and missing.

Come out of the store and it won't run. It fires off fine then immediately starts running REALLY rough, coughing and sputtering until it dies. Stepping on the gas didn't do anything, it wouldn't pickup RPMs. I sat there for like 20 minutes trying it everyonce in a while and it finally started and ran. It missed on one cylinder really bad and I couldn't let the RPMs drop or it would sound like it was going to die again.

I pulled codes when I got home and the only thing was 49 for spout. I pulled it to see how the car would run with it out. That was the only code from KOEO. How do you do the KOER test?

This happened before when the car got hot. I was driving in southern Montana and it was over 100. It acted exactly the same and wouldn't run till it cooled down. I'm at a loss here guys. Anyone have any ideas??

Mike8675309
08-22-2003, 09:26 PM
did you get a check engine light, or did you just pull codes? What is the engine doing right now? Clear the codes and then try to start the engine. Then check codes again.

For it to fluctuate like that I almost have to feel it's possibly a wiring issue.

MIKE 38sc
08-22-2003, 10:52 PM
When the car starts acting up have you shut it down and then tried to restart it? If so please explain what you do and how it acts until you get it restarted.

When you are having a problem like this NEVER disconnect the battery and reset the comp. Never reset the comp until you have fixed the problem because that only makes troublshooting and repairing much more difficult.

MTTod
08-23-2003, 12:51 AM
The first time it happened I was on the freeway and didn't have any indication there was a problem until I slowed down to exit. The car died and wouldn't start. It did the choke and sputter thing till it cooled down. When it did finally start it ran rough and I couldn't let the RPMs drop below 1500 or it would die and back to the same sit and wait.

It'll cruise but it misses and doesn't have much power when you step on it. If I shut it down it won't restart. When you hit the starter it fires right off and sounds fine for a second then the RPMs drop and it chokes and sputters for 5 seconds or so then dies. It will keep doing the same thing until it sits for 15 or 20 minutes.

The first times it happened the car was running hot. This time it was in the normal range so I'm guessing something is being affected by heat and it's getting worse.

I did notice that the upshift light still goes off when I crank it over. Wish there were some codes or a check engine light or something.

MIKE 38sc
08-23-2003, 03:27 AM
Code 49 means loss of spout signal.
What year SC do you have?
Spout signal comes from the DIS module.
Check the wireing between the comp and the DIS module with a VOM and make sure the wiring is good and have continuity on that wire. Continuity on that wire means the wire is good and probably the DIS is gone.
But its more than likely a bad wire or a loose connection.
Tell me what year SC you have and I'll tell you which wire to check.

MTTod
08-23-2003, 11:10 AM
Actually I expected the 49 code. I pulled the spout plug to see how the car ran with it out. Mine's a 1990.

MIKE 38sc
08-23-2003, 02:23 PM
Well thats probably why you got that code then.
Disconnect the battery and reset the comp reinstall the spout plug then reconnect the battery and start the engine again see if it will run now.

MTTod
08-23-2003, 06:43 PM
I pulled the batt cable and reset the computer. The car did the same choke and sputter several times then started. It idled ok for a while then RPMs dropped, ran crappy then died. Did that a couple more times then idled ok. No codes at all.

I have no idea what's going on here but it's getting annoying.

MIKE 38sc
08-23-2003, 06:50 PM
Sounds like your comp is relearning. They will do that after resetting them. Just let the car idle for 10 minutes or so and it should start to smooth out. Once you start driving it again it may idle funny after coming to a stop but just let learn how you drive again, it should start acting better after you put a few miles on it.

MTTod
08-23-2003, 07:55 PM
Oh wait... there's more now. I took it out for a drive. Seemed to be running fine then started acting crappy again. Get home, park, gun it to see if it's missing again. Pedal on the floor and it won't go over 1500 RPMs. Figure out when it gets to that point, shut it off, start it right back up and it'll rev. Slowly gets worse then won't rev over 1500. Shut off, start back up, revs again.

MIKE 38sc
08-23-2003, 09:37 PM
Sounds like maybe you have an intermitent wire problem. Vibrations from the motor will cause an intermitent wire connection to make contact then break contact and then it make contact again.
When it starts running bad jiggle the wireing harnes going to the DIS module and then try the coil harness to see if the problem corrects by jiggling the wires.

garmo
08-24-2003, 09:21 AM
I'll bet money it's the fuel pump........and or filter