did i break the tensioner

daivd z

i took the SC belt tensioner off today when taking the belt off. i took out the top screw so the whole thing came off. i put it back on and tensioned the belt but since its spring loaded did i mess it up. i heard your supposed to just move the bottom one?

You can take them off no problem. Only trick is to make sure you get the locating post on the back of the tensioner back into the hole in the bracket. If it's not set right you'll break the back of the tensioner in half when you tighten the bolt

Possibly but first I'd take both belts off (jackshaft and SC) and make sure all the pulleys turn freely. A binding jackshaft pulley or idler can chew a belt too. Also check the SC itself and make sure it's turning easy.

i cracked the tensioner when putting it on becuase i didnt line up the 2 pins in back and it was off center eating the belt. the SC pulley turns pretty freely. i can spin it with my hand.

There ya go! I've seen that a few times so you're not the first. Head to the junk yard and grab one. I'd replace the idler on it unless the bearings feel really good.

is the idles the bottom pulley? is it as simple as takin the bolt out and putting a new pulley on and putting hte bolt back on?

The idler is the plastic wheel on the tensioner. All the idlers are the same. You do just pull the bolt and replace the wheel. As far as the standard TBird tensioners, I tried but they were different. I could be wrong but all the ones I saw wouldn't work.

thanks for the info. i think im getting one off someone on this board. can i use the one off my old tensioner? its still in good shape?

Yes, you can use that pulley. The pulley on the SC tensioner is slightly smaller in diameter than the pulley on the other tensioners.

Back