Antilock and Brake Lights On

C5 Corvette

Antilock and Brake Warning Lights On

Hello All,

I was working on my SC today and I had noticed when I depressed the brake pedal the Antilock and Brake light comes on, also the brake pedal feels funny. When I depress the brake pedal the pressure holds for about 1-2 seconds, then suddenly it goes nearly to the door. The car will stop fairly well in a normal brake application but when I apply the brakes in an emergency stop the brakes will lock intermittently. I had checked the brake fluid in the master cylinder and it "appears" to be at normal levels. I did not check the rotors and pads yet since I did not have the time to do so. I did not see leaks anywhere around the wheels or master cylinder to indicate a problem. Also I believe that the parking brake is not working at all. When the parking brakes are applied there is no tension on the brake lever and the car will still roll. What do you guys think I should do?:confused:

Last edited:
Codes codes codes

Need some rear breake work done. can you pump them up. Have you listened fo accumulator motor?

Yes I did pump the brakes and the modulation felt the same. Nope I have not listened to the accumulator. What should I be listening for?

Turn the ignition on you don't need to start the motor

Put your ears by the master cylinder. You will hear a motor turninng this motor is hooked to the accumulater and is on the firewall under the master cylinder. It should run after every start up to pressurize the system

If I don't hear the accumulator it can be assumed that it's bad or a connector is loose or damaged. How much is it a job to replace?

Not to bad of a job.

The accumulator is an important Part of the system. Can't help with prices or locaton never had to replace. Have taken one off before pretty simple really. If it is not the motor than it is the accumulator itself. You should go listen for that motor . you will know right away cann't mistake the sound it is loud enough to hear. sounds like a constant buzz. You need to look into those back breaks that could bee the problem . try to get those right if the motor is working and go from there. good luck

Accumulator Works

Hello C5 here, (new login name):D

The accumulator motor is working. The motor goes off every 60 seconds and charges the system for 1 second. I did check the rear brakes and the pads needs to be changed. Most likely the fronts brakes needs a changing also. But a friend of mine who had the SC 2 years ago claims that the antilock brake light comes on even when he had changed the brakes.:confused: The brake pedal does seem to respond better to make matters more confusing.:confused: What gives?

Last edited:
It sounds like the accumulator. Just replaced one on the 91.
$99. bucks from, ok I dont have there name but this is there #
1-800444-4821. or you could buy one from ford. Dont know the price. This car would brake ok but the abs and the brake light would come one for a second. Mark J.

Any little problem will set off the warning lights.

This does not mean they won't work. Sounds like you need a total brake rebuild. The goal is too get the light off. Once after I had to use mine hard the light came on for a few seconds. Then went off after system was charged.

Kind a strange about your accumulator motor . Seems like it would be running all the time if there was a leak. My motor don't shut off. I am just guessing that it is shutting off some times after I get going down the rode. There is a brown relay .

What year are we talking about?

I am starting in on a similar problem. Here is what I have found so far:
Relay - Kragen (Special Order $22), Autozone (No listing), Pep Boys (Special Order $44), Napa (in stock listing for 90-93 p/n#AR240 or AR240SB for $22 or $18 respectively)

Now for the bad part from Ford:
Accumulator (E80Y 2C231 A) = $236.39
Actuator Pump (E9SZ 2C256 A) = $1551.78 OUCH!

Prior Remanufacturing (from what I have read on posts) has the accumulator (as mentioned) for $99 and a complete rebuild of the motor and master cylinder for around $600. I haven't got that far yet. Hoping the relay will fix my problem.

Hope it helps.

Passenger side firewall.

See the b/map sensor sticking out from the cowl. look down on the firewall from there. There are two sensors there that look the same. the one towards the drivers side (the brown one). Square shape.

Not for certain about that it is what I have read on the site. I do have one on my car a brown relay. Never had this problem so have never changed out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread

Hello All,

Ok, something I am still not sure of. How long does the accumulator pump suppose to engage and at what intervals if any? Like I stated in a previous posting the pump engages every 45 to 60 seconds with the key in the "key on, ignition off" position. When the pump engages its powered for approximately 1 second. I could change the relay but the problem seems it does not indicate a relay issue. The relay is controlled by a CPU that tells the relay to engage at pre determine intervals to keep the brake system charged. If the relay is bad it would be either stuck on the "on or off" positions which can adversely effect the braking. To what extent I don't know but one thing I do know is that the car stops quite normally with the exception of hard braking. I believe the problem is much deeper than a relay.

Its gota be the accumulator. Mine did the same thing. now that its fixed the pump comes on after about 5 brake pumps and stays on for about 5 seconds then goes off. I had good brakes but the peddle felt funny and the brake and abs light would come on for a second and go out. They say this part only lasts about 10 years.
Hope this helps. Mark J.

Back