Oh No!

lowflying90

just pulled the passenger head off. one electrode on the middle plug is gone completely, either burnt or broken off.....

any suggestions as to the cause. (lean? bearing?)

Thanks,
Jeff

Well it could have been melted away because of lean mixture or detonation cold have done it. Can you post a good pic of the plug?
What problem were you having to cause you to pull the head?

well, i installed the 5% pulley, eec tuner, new clutch, etc. I ran it like 5 miles and every time i'd floor it and peg the boost, it would cut out on me like a bad plug. i got a puff of smoke out the exhaust adn it was billowing white so i shut it down after only running it about a quarter mile. I fired it back up and antifreeze was coming out the exhaust.

I bought ported and polished heads, cam, pushrods, rockers, headers, etc. That is why I'm pulling the heads off. I'll see what I can do about getting a pic. It would only cut out at WOT and only after I installed the 5% ESM pulley. (I've heard its' 8% on a 95 blower like I have).

Jeff

i forgot to get the digital cam from work but a little bit of the tip was burnt off and a small piece of the ceramic was broken.

Jeff

Yes the melted part of the electrode indicates lean mixture. Lean mixtures create high combustion chamber temps. The combo of the two started melting the electrode.

The broken insulator happened slightly after the electrode started melting because the cylinder detonated. Detonation breaks things. Check that piston and ring lands real good.
Look for cracks. If your running forged pistons check the skirt of the piston with a micrometer. Forged pistons are bad about the skirts colapsing if the piston gets too hot.

Back