Idea's for custon fuel rail since I ruptured mine

V6Sprout

OK with my ruptured fuel line I am thinking about making a custon rail in conjuction with the stock rail. Here is my idea. My current fuel rail ruptured at the back where the two hard lines are connected by high pressure rubber lines.. I want to replace all the rubber high pressure lines from the factory, as you can see there are 3 of them, well actually four. Two at the back one on the right side of the FPR adn one at the front. I want to replace the front one with some braided line and AN fittings. The rear of the rail I want to delete the FPR and just run the lines together, I was thinking of attaching the lines and putting in a "T" fitting for the return line. The I want to add a separate AFPR on the fender wall. I assume I would put the AFPR on the incoming line before it hits the fuel rail, that would be fine having it before the fuel enters the rail correct?

Here is my current fuel rail and where it ruptured. (This is not my actual fuel rail, its still on the car, I have to remove it still. Car caught on fire today here is the post to the thread about the fire.)

Fire In The Hole!!!!!!!!!!

ruptured_fuel_line_area.jpg

Here is the AFPR I was thinking of using, or one similar to it.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=AEI-13101

Comments?

For those not familair with my project, its a 1994 V6 Mustang with a built up 1990 Supercoupe motor anda Volvo intercooler with custom piping. Here is a pic

engine_complete_small.jpg

the FPR is the last thing (after the fuel rails)

You can get -an fittings to go into the stock fuel line locations (the spring-lock part) use one to do the Feed line... then Redo the 2 `tranfer tubes' to have Flare fittings (done to accept Male -AN fittings) and do a short piece of hose from side-to side.. a Weled the `Exit' of the stock FPR then make a adapter to Hold an -AN fitting and send that to the external fender mount regulator..

Also i do not know if after market FPR respond to boost like the stock FPR...

Also Sorry i never really looked..

Near the rear driver side, Just remove the Whole Regulator part and do that T thing.. (still with -AN fittings, ect)

I know the 5.0L Fuel rails, just not the SC's :)

But i wouldn't go with a Compression fitting on the hard lines.. i have never had at work on FI cars.. Be it the porsches 3.2L's or aftermarket VW's system (Modified GMC FI system) I've always done flares, ect)

so basically at the back of the rail connect the two main hard lines (delete stock FPR section) and put a T fitting in there to attach the return line(small hard line) Then run the AFPR off the return line witha -AN fitting off the rail where the stock fuel line orginally connected? Them I run it the the AFPR and from there another AN fitting to teh fuel line to the pump.

Did I get that correct?

Also what is the difference between a comnpression fitting and a flare fitting? Got any pics?

Thanks guys!

Well What you are wanting to do is this..

From the Pump to the Fuel filter
Fuel Filter to the Fuel rail
Fuel Rail to the Pressure regulator
Pressure Regulator to Tank

Like i said, you can get a AN fitting that fits into the stock Fuel rails and MAYBE vortec or Paxton, ect MAY have a Fitting that will change the Stock fuel line fitting to a AN fitting..

But yah.. You will noticed on the fuel rail, one fuel line fitting will supply fuel to both sides and one will go directly to the FPR, the one that goes to the FPR is the one you want to remove.. then trim the hoses off, and even some of the hard line, add a pair of fittings to it, then run the hoses, if the FPR has 2 in 1out, or T it and head it over to the FPR on the fender...

Um someone may be able to get yah a pic.. I'll look abit myself...

Russel Sells the Part that goes into the Fuel Rail

pn- 640870 Ford EFI x 6 AN 1 (return)
pn- 640880 Ford EFI x 8 AN 1 (feed)

http://www.russellperformance.com/automotive/adapters/adapter_fittings.htm

that'll give yah and idea on flares (Basiclly AN :) But there is different types AN-SAE 37Degree, 45degree, ect, ect..

Compression is you add the `nut' to the tube, then this `sleeve' over the tube, then you thread the nut/tube/sleev into the fitting, and tighten it up and it Compresses the Sleeve onto the tube, Which seals the sleeve onto the tube, and then the sleeve also ends up sealing onto the fitting...

Last edited:
Okay looked up some more info...

Vortech P/N 4FF145-012 (TO TANK 94-01 3.8L)
P/N 4FG135-057 (TO TANK 94-95 5.0L)
P/N 4FA145-020 (TO TANK 89-93 5.0L)

Those are the P/N for the lines/adapters that Vortech uses to go from the FMU to the Stock fuel lines.. can't tell you what size AN fitting it has on the FMU end But Email them and see :)

Back