Shifter Broke!?!!?!?

SC UL8R1990

my shifter is broken on my 5spd .

It was feeling really loose for a little while. Well when i went to shift from 1st to second it felt like the shifter wasnt connected to anything. It is stuck in 1st gear and the shifter can move all over the place. It feels like it is unconnected somewhere......all i have is 1st gear !!

what should i do?!?!!?

this is nuts!

please help

yes the center console is removed.....it is definitley something below that.
Is there linkage under the car that i can get to ???

Nothin' you can do from under the car yet, check everything from the top first.

Carefully pull the carpet/insulation around the shifter to the side and you'll see that there's a metal plate with the shifter stickin' up through a rubber boot.
There's 4 bolts, one at each corner, that hold the plate down. Remove those and gently pull the plate up. Take care when doin' this and you'll be able to re-use the insulation that's stuck to the underside of the plate.
You'll then see a round plate/ring bolted around the shifter, remove the 3 bolts and slip the ring up off the shifter. You should then be able to lift the shifter straight up out've the tailhousing.

Get to that point and describe what you see.

Or...do you have access to a digital camera?

'bird

i have a digital camera...ill get to it tomorrow morning.

i really appreciate your help sir. ill update this post tomorrow morning.

again thank you

The shifter in my 89 was really loose when I first bought the car. (2000) Not knowing anything about it then, I figured it was normal. One day pulling up to a stop sign I went to take it out of third and the shifter just flopped all around. When I took the center console off, I notice two out of the three bolts holding the shifter in where not there. The parts inside of the shifter were broken and missing. I figure the vibration from the loose shifter broke the bolts loose causing them to fall out. The ball on the bottom of the shifter was not making contact with the shift fork anymore. I was able to leg in home holding the shifter in. Bought the parts to rebuild the shifter from the dealer for like 13 bucks. Still tight as hell to this day. Good Luck and hope it something simple like this.

Joe

well i got all of the center console out but now what do i do?? I took out the 4 bolts that i saw on the silver plate with the rubber boot on it, but it wont even budge! Did i get the right bolts?

This isnt going to well

:(

i finally got that plate out....just gotta use a little bit of muscle on these american cars:D

anyways.....those 3 bolts that hold down the circular thing......2 ofthem werent ven bolted down and the other was held on by like 3 threads.

im going up to summit to get a B&M ripper.....ill let you guys know how it goes:)

thanks fo all the help....you guys rock.

The plate can become pretty stuck over the life of the car, just try pryin' around the edge.

'bird

Yes the shifter knob will fit because you use the same upper portion of the lever. If memory serves it also come with the hardware for holding the shifter into the tail housing extension portion of the transmission. Any interest in selling your old one? (shifter that it.)

Back