Anyone else done the big block swap?

MTTod

I'm gonna give my SC motor one more shot. I'll get it running right AGAIN and see how it does. Next time it dies though I'm yanking it out and stuffing in a big block. I don't know, maybe it's just my car.

Anyone else besides Rich done the swap? I'm wondering if you can keep the factory AC, ABS and ARC.

I hear ya. I am getting ready to put my freshin up motor & new tranny
back in.If it even acts like it is thinking of screwing up.Off in the
weeds is were the motor & tranny will be.

And then I am going to put in a v-8.

I would like to go with a 514 cid crate motor with 600 hp.
Then add fuel injection & a front mount super charger.

I can come up with the money for the 514cid motor,but I
don't know if I can afford the injection & blower.

For the body a fiberglass rear trunk,hood cobra R, and doors,
and then with a cobra r front airdam.Here is a picture of what
it would look like with out the cobra r hood.

Attachments

• 3tbirdcopy.jpg
    3tbirdcopy.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 231
I hope thats a paintshoppro picture you got there.If you can actually buy those air dams from somewhere i beleive i'm gonna have to sell my computer to buy it :p looks bad a$$ without the hood as of now prolly look even better with the hood put on the bird

If they're available I haven't seen one on a car yet! I'd say that pics been "retouched" a bit.;)

Part of my problem is I'm old school when it comes to hotrods. I like a carb and distributor cause I can fix the thing without lots of guess work and the trial and error parts swapping. Crap, I spend all week trying to fix machines that can't tell you what's wrong half the time.

All the engine problems I've had haven't thrown one code! The problem I've got now is the same way so I spend a lot of time here. There isn't one SC in the local wrecking yards so no used parts.

My SC isn't a daily driver, it's just for fun. It's really disappointing when I get home from another day of SOSDD, hop in for a relaxing cruise and the thing won't run right. I can deal with the accessory problems (AC, ARC, ABS, lights, etc) as long as I can still drive it.

MTTod & instawookie210, It is a photoshop picture.
here is another one someone else did and had posted.
With the cobra-r hood.And it's on a newer bird.

You may need a taller hood to clear some parts on a V-8.

Last edited:
MTTod, you asked??

If you can keep all the good stuff, well the answer is YES.... The abs on the older cars make you place the engine to the right about one inch from center.The ride control is still in place in my one car and works just fine. There is plenty of room and with some modding you should be able to do the air as well. I went for the "no air " look when I did the one that has been posted around here. If you need any more info on this swap, feel free to ask or e-mail me at bruhn@execpc.com and I will do my best to help you....Rich

instawookie210, They are for sale.All you need to do is buy two
Cobra R front ends.

I plan to take one cut it in sections.Put it in place temporary on the
front of my SC . Then cut up the second Cobra R front end.And fill
in between the sections of the Cobra R front end on the SC.
Then weld the sectioned seams of the urethane bumper together.

On the black 90SC I have been thinking of tring to use a Steeda
Air dam.I think it will fit in the lower opening on the SC.And use
dutz fasteners to hold in place.

randy

Thanks Rich. I really like the car. The body style, interior, everything. That was the reason I bought it. The SC motor was just something that happened to come with the stuff I liked.

I want power from my car. If I have a toy I want it to haul A$$ ALL THE TIME! Not just when it feels like putting the power down. The SC motor would be great if I could get it to run reliably. I just don't have any local help or parts. Makes it really hard to get things fixed.

Well like I said, one more shot. I need to get my old Integra back together so I can drive that till the SC is back on the road. I hate the little Protege beater I'm driving right now. 4 speed auto and only 1st and 3rd work. Makes driving up a hill interesting.

I've been thinking of making a fiberglass bumber for my SC. I've been thinking of a custom bumper and I think I've found the right one.

Back