Powder Coating Blower Case......

Yes, I am going to do this myself.....I was asking because I am not sure if the cure cycle will warp the case.:confused:

Most of the better powders flow out at 400 deg.
As long as the case isnt heated up fast and is allowed to cool down slowly you should be alright.

I know you posted on the TBU and I replied there but there's already some mis-information in this thread. So for the benefit of others that might read this thread...

Dupont makes fantastic powders, they cure with extremely high quality at 300-350 at 20-25 minutes. I've used several so-called "brands" (actually made by Dupont). Didn't read about it on the 'net, hear about it from a cousin, or see it in a magazine...I have done it.
Sorry to be ornery but this is one subject that gets so screwed up sometimes with mis-information.

'bird

I goofed this top up, undercoat mottled on me, wasn't the powder's fault but the gloss was nice.
bs8546.jpg

Aluminum can start to change structure at 415/417 so some parts, such as this blower were done at 350. Valve covers and other "inanimate" parts can be done at higher/quicker cures.
blwrfin0326.jpg

Last edited:
I had all my SC parts powder coated, here is a picture of the outlet tube. Just recieved the blower back from magnum powers but do not have any pictures yet and it is black. The guy who did it , had it done for me by someone else, so I am not sure what was used. Still waiting on the top, if interested will take pictures and put on board when complete.

Mike Tuck
Super XR7

Attachments

• outlet.jpg
    outlet.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 197
Well got the top back and did a bench assembly to show what it looks like. I am pleased!

Mike Tuck

Attachments

• dsc00960.jpg
    dsc00960.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 139
powder

I have been powdering parts for many years and have had no problems with warping. Most of the time i do 2-3 part powders that need to be baked at 400'F for 25min after flowout. I do blowers and even complete engines.

Attachments

• sc motor.jpg
    sc motor.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 116
BKB, that is one nice looking engine. Nice work!

Deep6, made it from billet aluminum. CNC machinied from my design.

Mike38sc, don't know what temp 386 aluminum casting loses its temper but 6061-T6 will lose temper about 600F. I am not sure what was put on my parts but it sure does look like powder coat, seems tough and is very shiny. As I said the job was bartered out for work done in my shop.

Mike Tuck
Super XR7

Kick ***

It runs great. Gets 25mpg and over 350hp. I will be getting it dynoed soon and hope to hit 400hp at the crank. Took a long time to get the tune right and now having problems with the 50lb injectors and the stock fuel rail. After i make a larger fuel rail drivability should be good as stock. Here you can see the huge front mount i made using 2 SC ICs cost me a whole $150.00 and my intake temps never went over 116'F at 15psi.

Attachments

• front mount.jpg
    front mount.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Super XR7 said:
BKB, that is one nice looking engine. Nice work!

Deep6, made it from billet aluminum. CNC machinied from my design.

Mike38sc, don't know what temp 386 aluminum casting loses its temper but 6061-T6 will lose temper about 600F. I am not sure what was put on my parts but it sure does look like powder coat, seems tough and is very shiny. As I said the job was bartered out for work done in my shop.

Mike Tuck
Super XR7
I beg your pardon..... Where have I said anything regarding Aluminum losing its temper?:confused:
All I said was that some powders that I knew of flowed out at 400F. Thats all I said.
Then Tbird comes along and say's there has been misinformation put up and now you implying that I've said something about Aluminum losing its temper.
Where in the hell is all this coming from? :confused:
There are only 3 posts by me in this thread and not 1 thing in any of them to warrant these comments.
Can you guy's not read?:mad:

Back