Polished Aluminum Spare???

BobGPz

Do all SC's have a polished Aluminum spare tire? It looks like the front whell off a dragster. I will post pic if this is not common thing for the SC. Mine is a '90, so before the Ford Budget War.

My car is a 92'... My spare is black and looks like poop on my car all of those unfortunate times i have had to use it. But it always got me home...

OK, I WILL TAKE A PIC

I'll go snap a digital pic and post it. It is weird, maybe aftermarket? Or maybe my SC is the one millionth one made?:p

Outside of wheel.......looks like a semi truck rim, but MUCH smaller. Is this stock???? Anybody??

Attachments

• picture 8.jpg
    picture 8.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 315
Yes, it is stock, but was an option for those willing to pay the $375. for it. It weighs 20lb as instead of the 30lb that the steel spare weighs. I think you can still get them b/c the LS and other Fords have them as an option also. Good luck

Just a point of possible interest......Ford used four of those spare wheels mounted with Goodyear Bonneville Salt Flat Tires to run in 90 and 92 their Bonneville SC Project Car at the flats.

Now THIS is interesting! I could see where they would be good for salt flats.
Duffy do you know what years they were available as an option?
:cool: :confused:

There now see? Learn something every day. I didn't know all of that about those spares either. LOL. I appreciate those pieces of info.

Thanks guys.

Have a great week all.

I bought 2 of them at 2 different wrecking yards for $14 and $19. I'm using them for front wheels at the drags. The aluminum spare and 165R15 are about 30 lbs. lighter each than the stock wheel/tire combo.

Mike

I have a set of those wheels too. I mounted a set of tires, for the strip, 165R15's. The weight of the spare wheel and tire is 21 pounds. The stock wheels(any year SC) with tires weighs in at 41 pounds.

I wonder if I put one of these each on the back wheels, and NAILED IT!

Talk about pizza cutters!:D The spare tire is like 4 inches wide. They would be all over the place. :eek:

Leave it in the trunk b/c they are only rated for 55mph and who knows what would happen if you push it. I noticed the sides on mine were wavy so I would only use it if I absolutely had no other choice. Good luck

No disrespect intended, but I believe the tire determines the 55 mph rating. I took a GOOD look at those aluminum spares (with different tires) before I went 100 on the strip (numerous times).

Mike

Last edited:
35th SC said:
No disrespect intended, but I believe the tire determines the 55 mph rating. I took a GOOD look at those aluminum spares (with different tires) before I went 100 on the strip (numerous times).

Mike

I agree that the spare tire is certainly speed rated. I also agree that the aluminum spare/wheel with a light tire (but not the original spare tire) is great for use on the front of the car at the track. However, I don't think I'd use them on the street, or at least exceed the 55 mph rating by much if I did, for two reasons:

Severely reduced contact patch due to the narrow tire

The "side load" on the wheel due to any amount of turning at speed.

The aluminum spare/wheel is probably fine for 100 mph+ straight line blasts at the strip, but I don't know if it can handle a hard turn at speed (and I sure don't want to be the one to test it).

Just some thoughts........no disrespect intended here either.

-Rod

Back