rod bearing?

cstemm

Got the car running after replacement hg's and now there is a knock. First it was quiet, now it is loud and persistant. The car sat for a while with the hg blown, and I dont think he had the sence to change the oil. Anyhow, is it likely that it is a rod bearing that has gone bad, and can I fix it without removing the motor. Also, should I replace all the bearings? I am new at this, and have never done anything on the lower motor. I did not run it very long after it started knocking, so is it possible the crankshaft is ruined now? Any help would be great. Thanks Chris

Yes

The motor has to come out. Do not run it anymore or you risk damaging the crank. You might as well do a complete rebuild while it is out. Then you won't have to worry for quite a while.

My crank was fine just the bearings melted onto it. I would not attempt to change the bearings when the block was still in the car. To be completely safe pull the engine out and properly go through it. Personally I don't think its worth taking a chance on ruining what is left of you engine.

What youre talking about is a VERY BIG job actually. Because you are going to have to rebuild the motor.
Youre gonna need alot of tools to do this job and you really need to be up on your engine building knowledge before tackling a job of this size. You MUST do it right for the engine to live very long.

This aint no 350 Chevy.
You may want to check on someone building it for you.
Just be sure they have experiance with this engine or that could end in a nightmare.

She's down right now so take alittle time and really think about it.
Dont rush into anything. Do what is best for you.

Back